[SOLVED] Should I tighten my ram timings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane_9

Commendable
Aug 10, 2017
Hi
I bought a new set of ram sticks because my old pair was mis matched and started giving me errors during 7 zip decompression, I got this kit https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233852 of CL15 My motherboard will only allow me to go to 2666mhz I set it as XMP in the bios but now I wanted to know if I should go for better timings or leave it be as it's stable 24/7 testing in memtest86 and idle on the desktop since I last installed the new kit. The timings are 18-19-19-44

HxNK7Kg.png

CoFP7MF.png

could it get any better?

specs
core i5 8400
asrock b360 pro4
16gb ram
rtx 2060s

Solution
I suppose that fiddling with things could do better.
But, I would not bother.
Intel ram controllers are very good at anticipating ram use so they do not depend on fast ram.
Benchmarks might look good but actual app performance or fps does not seem to be impacted.
I suppose that fiddling with things could do better.
But, I would not bother.
Intel ram controllers are very good at anticipating ram use so they do not depend on fast ram.
Benchmarks might look good but actual app performance or fps does not seem to be impacted.

Solution
The timings are 18-19-19-44
You should probably tighten the timings, considering the table says that RAM should be able to do 15-17-17-35 with 1.35v at DDR4-3000 speed. It should be able to manage at least that at the lower DDR4-2666 speed. It probably won't make a noticeable difference to real-world performance, but it may be worth doing if you want to eke a little more performance out of the processor.

Kane_9

Commendable
Aug 10, 2017
You should probably tighten the timings, considering the table says that RAM should be able to do 15-17-17-35 with 1.35v at DDR4-3000 speed. It should be able to manage at least that at the lower DDR4-2666 speed. It probably won't make a noticeable difference to real-world performance, but it may be worth doing if you want to eke a little more performance out of the processor.

Would I be able to edit the timings fine with XMP enabled or would I have to manual set everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.