[SOLVED] Should I trust/use asus's compatibility lists?

r2t262

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
Solution
yes, that's the QVL-Devices list.
like all these lists and the QVL - Qualified Vendors List- RAM is not a list of the only parts that will work, but a list of parts the factory tested with. this testing is meant to show that their product enjoys wide product support at release.

I am fairly certain the card you are looking at will work just fine without a BIOS update but checking the release notes for the BIOS revisions is always a wise move.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the lists are most useful in the few months following its release, in this case that motherboard.
this tells new users what has already been tested to work on that board. cards that came later should work or be made to work with BIOS updates.
the same is for the RAM, the QVL list for RAM is most useful just after release, the BIOS is new and those units have already been tested. as BIOS updates mature the wrinkles are worked out.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes, that's the QVL-Devices list.
like all these lists and the QVL - Qualified Vendors List- RAM is not a list of the only parts that will work, but a list of parts the factory tested with. this testing is meant to show that their product enjoys wide product support at release.

I am fairly certain the card you are looking at will work just fine without a BIOS update but checking the release notes for the BIOS revisions is always a wise move.

Solution