Discussion Should I try Linux?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Update:

My wife keeps using her Envy all-in-one and seems to like using Linux on it just fine. She does miss the JW Library app, but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker yet.

We were also given a color laser printer, a Dell 3110cn. I plugged it into the ol' Dell Inspiron from 2006 with Linux on it and it immediately downloaded the drivers and worked like a charm. But on the desktop with Windows 10 I couldn't get any drivers to work for the life of me. I tried all sorts of suggestions from off the web and I just couldn't get it to work at all with Windows. Another reason to go with Linux.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
I thought I would update a bit again about things I'm not liking about Linux...

1. Logging in requires a password. Maybe there's a way around this, but putting in a password everytime is a bit of a pain. With Windows I had a 4 digit PIN, which is much faster to get onto the computer.
  2. There is no hibernate option in Linux natively, at least not on Mint. There does seem a way around this. But on the laptop, for an example, it has a bad battery. It's nice to have the computer setup to hibernate after a set amount of time, that way if I need to unplug it the next day I can just go do that and go. Or when I get the battery replacement, what if I run out of juice when I'm out and about. It would be nice to have an option to hibernate instead of a full shutdown.
  3. I also miss having screensaver options. Again, there may be a work around. But I love the screen going to some sort of star field or ribons or pipes or flower box or something of that sort as it just sits there while I'm not working on it at the moment. Flying toasters would be awesome if I could get that!
I still want to try to reinstall QEMU and see if I can't get it to work 100%, with or without touchscreen support. As long as it doesn't crash, works reasonably fast and has sound, that's all I need. So I need to figure out what I'm missing to have sound. Or maybe another emulator... but so far QEMU has worked the best out of the ones I've tried except the lack of sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS