Question Should I Uninstall All These Security Programs?

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I have been a lurker on this forum for almost 20 years now (god I'm old lol). Over the years, any time I have been recommended to use a certain security program to maintain my PC, I've usually held on to it and continued to use it throughout the years (to scan my PC and keep it running healthy).

However, the list has grown enormous, and too hard to keep up with updates and use them all the time now. Plus, I don't really know how helpful they are at this point anyway, as just a general routine.

Here is that list. In 2022-2023, with Windows Defender being my default go-to on Windows 10, and all my internet activity running in a Sandboxie 100% of the time, how many of these (if any) are really that necessary any more? Just for routine scanning (with no major infections or issues going on).
  • Spybot
  • Malwarebytes
  • SUPERAntiSpyware
  • ATF cleaner
  • CC Cleaner
  • Hitman Pro
  • Rogue Killer
  • Adwcleaner
  • PC DoctorToolBox

Have you accumulated all of these merely because someone recommended them?

Or because you would say you are constantly extremely worried about security risks?

If the latter, I'm wondering if removing most of them would leave you in a severe state of anxiety? Maybe so, considering you use Sandboxie "100% of the time".

No? Yes?

I use only Malware Bytes and Windows Defender. And an occasional scan by a third program.

I've used 3 or 4 on your list previously.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Ask yourself.. How do all these free programs make money?
They monitor and report on your activity.

I would uninstall all of them.
If you should happen to think you acquired malware, download malwarebytes, do a scan and uninstall it after.

As a precaution, I would do a user system restore checkpoint first.