[SOLVED] Should I uninstall my old graphics card drivers?

Jun 18, 2020
Hey, so I’m upgrading my gpu from a gtx 660 to a gtx 1660 super, everything works out, just to make sure installation will go smoothly, I just wanted to know if I have to uninstall the old drivers before I install the new gpu (I don’t really want to if possible). I’m going from nvidia to nvidia so it should be fine right?

Also, after I install the new gpu how do I check that everything is running smoothly and is working? After I install it should I plug it back in with side panel off to see if the fan on the gpu is spinning

I built my pc with my pc geek friend and I’m doing this alone so I just want to make sure. Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
It's not mandatory, but you certainly could go for the clean install. There are two methods:
1) Just install the latest drivers from the Nvidia website and choose the "Clean Install" checkbox. This is the easiest way, but will probably leave some old driver remnants in place that will absolutely most likely, definitely not cause a single problem.

But just in case you wanted a more "professional" totally absolutely clean install, then:
2) Download and use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), which can be downloaded from here:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
DDU will uninstall everything, including folders and registry entries, automatically reboot your PC into safe mode and allow you to...
It's not mandatory, but you certainly could go for the clean install. There are two methods:
1) Just install the latest drivers from the Nvidia website and choose the "Clean Install" checkbox. This is the easiest way, but will probably leave some old driver remnants in place that will absolutely most likely, definitely not cause a single problem.

But just in case you wanted a more "professional" totally absolutely clean install, then:
2) Download and use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU), which can be downloaded from here:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
DDU will uninstall everything, including folders and registry entries, automatically reboot your PC into safe mode and allow you to do the same clean install recommended in option #1 above.

Solution
Jun 18, 2020
Hey, thanks for your response, really helped, just wondering. I regularly update my drivers in GeForce experience, but I went on the website to look for the latest drivers for both my gtx 660 and gtx 1660 super, they use the same driver, so in this instance should it be pretty fine to skip removing drivers or should I still just use the ddu to be safe? Thanks!

Subham2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2014
Hey, thanks for your response, really helped, just wondering. I regularly update my drivers in GeForce experience, but I went on the website to look for the latest drivers for both my gtx 660 and gtx 1660 super, they use the same driver, so in this instance should it be pretty fine to skip removing drivers or should I still just use the ddu to be safe? Thanks!
Its fine to use GeForce for updates but it's better to use DDU or you can just use DDU only if you think you are having issues due to drivers.