[SOLVED] Should I unlink this unknown device?

Solution
If you don't know what the device is, unlink it. Better safe than sorry.

If you find out something you do use starts asking for your Microsoft account, you know which device it is now.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Devices show up in your MS account list when they are logged in as you. If you are sure you don't know what it is, it will sign you out of that device and in cases where your licensure it tied to your account it may deactivate (if that was method is was activated).

Reactions: nbartolo7

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Devices show up in your MS account list when they are logged in as you. If you are sure you don't know what it is, it will sign you out of that device and in cases where your licensure it tied to your account it may deactivate (if that was method is was activated).
If I'm sure I only have one PC then I can safely (and should for security reasons) remove the other device, is that what you're saying?

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
If you don't know what the device is, unlink it. Better safe than sorry.

If you find out something you do use starts asking for your Microsoft account, you know which device it is now.
Thanks. Will remove it. And, having a device linked to my account, means what exactly? What can that device do that others cannot?

Thanks. Will remove it. And, having a device linked to my account, means what exactly? What can that device do that others cannot?
It only means you signed into your Microsoft account on that device.

EDIT: Looking a bit more into it, it seems like it's only if the device uses Microsoft services that need a Microsoft account to work. It doesn't track, for example, if you logged into your Microsoft account via a website or app. I'm logged into my Outlook account from my iPad but it's not flagged as a linked device. This is unlike say a Google account where Google does track wherever you sign in, be it a web browser, an app, or a device.

Reactions: nbartolo7

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
It only means you signed into your Microsoft account on that device.

EDIT: Looking a bit more into it, it seems like it's only if the device uses Microsoft services that need a Microsoft account to work. It doesn't track, for example, if you logged into your Microsoft account via a website or app. I'm logged into my Outlook account from my iPad but it's not flagged as a linked device. This is unlike say a Google account where Google does track wherever you sign in, be it a web browser, an app, or a device.
Fantastic. Thanks