Question Should i unplug or turn off my devices after every use ?

rawfiul

Reputable
Apr 14, 2018
I won't have to pull the plug, my wall has an electrical switch that can cut power to the wall socket that is connected to my devices.

I'm asking this because, recently my psu and mobo died and someone said it's because of my habit of killing the power to wall socket after every use. Usually twice a day. They said it wears down the capacitors.

I have been in this habit to save electricity and to protect the devices from power surges atleast when they are not in use.

What is the correct thing to do ?

jdeese

Honorable
Nov 21, 2017
Why not just put the computer to sleep instead? Mine gets so much use that there's no real point in turning it off except to reboot/install updates. If I'm feeling particularly special, I'll put it to sleep right then and there before going to bed for about 5 hours.

There is a lot more discussion about leaving it on all the time compared to turning it on and off and there is no clear answer. Turning it off in software vs unplugging it is likely even less clear.

Just turning switch off at the wall really is no different than turning the physical switch on the power supply off. It varies a bit depending on if you use 120 or 220 volt power but the switch only cuts the hot power leads. There are other wires like the ground wires still hooked to the machine.
In theory you could get a surge or lightning strike on that wire even with the power switch turned off.

Now if you just leave the switch on and only use a software shutdown then there always is a tiny bit of power being used. Almost every device there is works like that, your tv for example could not be turned of with a wireless remote if it did not have the sensor in the tv powered.

I would just buy a surge protector and use the software shutdown any thing else is too much hassle and I suspect neither option has much effect on the life of the equipment. Its not like there is a fan running that would wear out a bearing or something.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Anything plugged into wall socket, even with a surge protector is capable of being damaged by a suitably strong electrical event.
turning off the switch really does nothing.

I also use sleep(no hibernate)
sleep/wake becomes a handful of seconds.

Try to collect.
Read the fine print on such warranties.
Have you kept all documentation needed to collect?
I have never had to collect despite repeated surges, I read the fine print, and I kept the box and all documentation.
What point are you trying to make? That the company wont honor its legally obligated insurance, and warranty policies?
Some gall to make such accusations against one of the best companies for such products.