Question Should I Update BIOS on ASUS Sabertooth X99 Before a Clean Install of Windows?

May 18, 2024
Hello!

I want to do a clean install of Windows on my PC to get a fresh start.

Is it necessary to update my BIOS? In the system information, it says that I have BIOS version "American Megatrends Inc. 1901, 10.08.2015". My motherboard model is ASUS Sabertooth X99.

I'm a bit worried about potentially damaging my system by updating the BIOS. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
I have BIOS version "American Megatrends Inc. 1901, 10.08.2015"
I would, flash to the latest version, Clear the CMOS, then install the OS after recreating your bootable USB installer.

I'm a bit worried about potentially damaging my system by updating the BIOS.
There's always some risk involved but i tend to flash one BIOS version at a time to get to the latest instead of one massive jump on older platforms.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/SABERTOOTH-X99/E10096_SABERTOOTH_X99_for_web_only.pdf?model=SABERTOOTH X99
in the event that your BIOS is corrupt, the board has a feature known as CrashFree BIOS 3, page 3-68, section 3.11.3. Use that to recover your BIOS. If that doesn't help, you can source a CH341A BIOS Programmer to flash the BIOS on the board.