[SOLVED] Should I update BIOS to fix monitor deep sleep issue ?

May 31, 2021
I am experiencing deep sleep issue on my LG 27GN950 monitor. When the PC is hut down for long period and restarted, the monitor won't wake up. Its connected to Radeon RX6900xt on ASRock X570 Steel legend WiFi and Ryzen 7 5800 CPU. I read in some forums that updating the BIOS might solve the issue. I am running V3.1 now and I see that 3.7 is available. Should I upgrade my BIOS? Will it solve my problem?
Or any suggestion how to solve the issue if BIOS update won't do it ?

Agreed, BIOS update should not be your top choice/go-to solution to fix hardware issues right away, only for compatibility issues (i.e. CPU) or if you need a feature in a future BIOS update.
I think you are referring "this forums" for your solution?

We cannot guarantee if it will work or not. I do not endorse the method because if you fail the BIOS update for whatever reason, you may brick your board. If you do want to go that route, be sure to read up how to update the BIOS on your motherboard and understand the risk that comes with it.

I personally had bricked a BIOS myself on a dual BIOS board but managed to recover it back (with luck). It was a harrowing experience, but now got both of the BIOS to the latest version.

The preventative solution to this however, is to google the monitor first before buying it to check if there are any issues such as this. Every piece of hardware can have issues such as this, so refining your buying decision to check for any issues will help you steer clear from trouble.

Reactions: QTRGamer

Endre

Reputable
I am experiencing deep sleep issue on my LG 27GN950 monitor. When the PC is hut down for long period and restarted, the monitor won't wake up. Its connected to Radeon RX6900xt on ASRock X570 Steel legend WiFi and Ryzen 7 5800 CPU. I read in some forums that updating the BIOS might solve the issue. I am running V3.1 now and I see that 3.7 is available. Should I upgrade my BIOS? Will it solve my problem?
Or any suggestion how to solve the issue if BIOS update won't do it ?

Please check if there’s a newer firmware update for your monitor. That should solve the issue.

May 31, 2021
I am experiencing deep sleep issue on my LG 27GN950 monitor. When the PC is shut down for long period

So that's 2 different things are you putting the PC to sleep or shutting it down?
In both cases the monitor will not wake up. I did install the monitor specific driver as monitor driver to replace the generic windows driver and that did not resolve my issue. I read in a forum that enabling Re-size bar support and above 4G decoding in BIOS might help resolve the issue but it didn't.

You can try reinstalling Windows as GPT (If you're still in MBR that is) and then set your boot mode to UEFI in the motherboard BIOS as this user in the reddit post has said.

I have a multi-monitor setup and was plagued with the wake from sleep issues with the 27gn950. I wrote more here.View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LGUltraGearOfficial/comments/jztmq7/lg_ultragear_27gn950_wake_from_sleep_issue_fix/gtbs12j?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

TLDR: After re-installing windows and changing MBR drive to GPT, therefore allowing the BIOS to boot into UEFI mode, not legacy mode, the issue went away. No idea if this was the actual fix.

That would involve a reformat though, so you need to backup your files.
There is a way to convert MBR to GPT without reinstalling Windows, but sometimes that method may produce errors or result in data loss so I do not vouch for it.

Reactions: QTRGamer