Question Should I update my BIOS before doing a fresh install of Windows 10. ASUS Mobo was repaired through RMA.

Feb 2, 2019
Hey Everyone. So I will try to keep my story as short as possible. I got BSOD some months back after updating my BIOS 6 months after building my first computer. Was having some dumb issues with some game performance and rgb but didn't know it was so dangerous to update a BIOS on a running computer. My z370 board came back from asus rma. Its a rog strix e-gaming mobo. I recently decided to get a 9700k to replace by dead 8700k that got refunded by intel. I finally gave it a shot and tested the mobo with the 9700k to see if it ran with minimal components out of case and it went to the BIOS so thats good. They installed version 1802 at Asus. My question is should i update my BIOS to the latest version, which is 2401? I looked on the site and the support section says that my CPU is "validated since Bios" version 1803 and according to that I should update it. Not entirely sure what that means by validated since... Since my computer went all bad after doing that BIOS update I am a little paranoid if you can tell. I am wondering if its ok to update it now before I install a clean Windows 10 since i don't plan on updating it again if everything is working ok. I believe my current version on the mobo is fine since i believe 9th gen is supported since version 1002 so there have been like five updates in between that.

I do plan on geting a z390 later in the year with some other upgrades like new case and bigger aio but i want to put my gaming rig back together already. Should I update my BIOS before building my computer and installing the OS from scratch? Thanks for the help.

If you are on 1802 and the site states 1803 then yes update the BIOS for proper support.

What it means by validated is that support was added and verified working by the manufacture. It may work on the older version however there is no guarantee that it will or that if it does it would be stable.

Feb 2, 2019
If you are on 1802 and the site states 1803 then yes update the BIOS for proper support.

What it means by validated is that support was added and verified working by the manufacture. It may work on the older version however there is no guarantee that it will or that if it does it would be stable.

OK should I go for the latest version out for the BIOS or maybe one before that?

This is the link to all the versions

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

hoping to do it today so I can start installing the OS and all

Thanks

Feb 2, 2019
I have never heard of that either but if Asus stated to do so I would follow their instructions. While it may be pointless and time consuming it might be the best way to avoid potential issues.

True I am going to follow their instructions on the website and manual on updating the BIOS because I don't think it said anything like that. Maybe its an old school approach. Honestly the tech took forever to respond in chat and was not very detailed.

Feb 2, 2019
I have never heard of that either but if Asus stated to do so I would follow their instructions. While it may be pointless and time consuming it might be the best way to avoid potential issues.

I might update it via the ezflash tool that allows me to do it over internet connection in the BIOS directly. I have good steady internet so it should not be a problem