Should I update my bios?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I have a z270a pro and the bios has 2 new updates.

Version

7A71v15
Release Date
2018-01-25
Description
- Fix MSI Clutch GM60/GM70 mouse cursor jump in windows and BIOS when DPI set over 1000Mhz.
- Update RST 15.9
- Update Intel Micro code for security vulnerabilities

Version
7A71v14
Release Date
2017-11-23
Description
- Fix Optane can not work properly.
- Update micro code.
- Improve RAID card compatibility.
- Improve memory compatibility.
- Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities

Solution
Yes, the latest bios has the microcode updates for meltdown and spectre, it is a security update and you should do it. Make sure you update the bios in the bios and not in windows and make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard and you will be fine.

You really only should update the bios when there is a issue or specific reason. If you were not having any issues with your rig and the bios update did not include meltdown and spectre patches, then I would say there is not reason to take the risk. But since there are security flaws without the update, then there is more risk to not flash the bios.
Yes, the latest bios has the microcode updates for meltdown and spectre, it is a security update and you should do it. Make sure you update the bios in the bios and not in windows and make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard and you will be fine.

You really only should update the bios when there is a issue or specific reason. If you were not having any issues with your rig and the bios update did not include meltdown and spectre patches, then I would say there is not reason to take the risk. But since there are security flaws without the update, then there is more risk to not flash the bios.

Solution

Meltdown and Spectre are fairly serious security flaws. I flashed my z370 gaming 7 for this reason. It was worth it to me.

But as I said, update the bios through the bios and make sure you have the right model bios. If you do those things it will be fine.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017

Why shouldn't I use the msi live update which flashes the bios through windows?
Also I just use my pc to game not for business, so would you still say its worth it?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
My windows is paired with the bios maybe. Im not sure if I completely understand but I didn't enter a key its already built in. In fact I don't have my windows key I just have a cd with no code. Will updating my bios reset windows?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Well I updated to the newest bios. I wouldn't call that painless, though only because my gut rolled around while the bios updated, I paced along expecting an endless black screen. What a relief. After updating I shut down my pc regularly and then unplugged the flash drive, maybe I should have done that with the pc on and clicking the remove usb button, but after the bios updated it shouldnt have still been accessing the usb right, I mean the pc was off when I removed it. Should I reinstall just to be safe?

No. I've never had to reactivate Windows after a BIOS flash.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017

Can confirm I didn't have to.

You did everything fine. You don't need to reinstall and windows will not be affected by a bios update.

The reason why I suggest updating the bios from the bios is because things can go wrong in the windows environment. It is just another way to be careful. The scariest part of the bios update is when the flash is complete the system will boot a couple of times. It is normal and fine.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
So a corrupted bios would not boot right? Im on my pc now then it worked? I ask because im not sure if the pc could suspend the usb access when shut off, and then be expecting it when you turn the pc back on.

Run CPU-Z. On the Mainboard tab page you should be able to see the BIOS version that is currently running.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
my system info shows the correct bios im just wondering whether you should safely remove the usb, then shut the pc off, then plug the usb in while in the bios to make sure you don't corrupt any files.

As long as there are no write operations happening to the flash drive at the time of removal then there is no problem.