[SOLVED] Should I update my bios?

PassedFN

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
Hey, I haven't updated my BIOS since I bought my PC.
My BIOS VERSION for my GIGABYTE A320M (DS2) motherboard is F2 and there are so many newer versions for it.
Also I wanna enable XMP and there is not anywhere in my BIOS so if I update it I hope it will present.
Do u think should I do it? Do it via Q-FLASH? and should I update to the latest version immidiately without installing every version until the latest one? or one older?

Solution
enabling XMP is entirely dependent on if there even is an XMP profile for your specific model of RAM.

But usually with updates to the BIOS comes tweaks, improvements, bug fixes, etc. and a lot of times even expanded RAM compatibility.

So you don't HAVE to update the BIOS as long as you aren't having any troubles with the PC as a whole, but you can if you want to. Might get you an XMP profile for the RAM, might not.

But all XMP really is, is just auto applying the rated speeds and timings for you.
You can of course attempt to manually set these.

Also, unless your RAM is specifically rated for Ryzen with an XMP Profile 2 option, you will need to enable DOCP in the BIOS for the XMP Profile 1 to work (assuming you even get an XMP...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
enabling XMP is entirely dependent on if there even is an XMP profile for your specific model of RAM.

But usually with updates to the BIOS comes tweaks, improvements, bug fixes, etc. and a lot of times even expanded RAM compatibility.

So you don't HAVE to update the BIOS as long as you aren't having any troubles with the PC as a whole, but you can if you want to. Might get you an XMP profile for the RAM, might not.

But all XMP really is, is just auto applying the rated speeds and timings for you.
You can of course attempt to manually set these.

Also, unless your RAM is specifically rated for Ryzen with an XMP Profile 2 option, you will need to enable DOCP in the BIOS for the XMP Profile 1 to work (assuming you even get an XMP profile after updating the BIOS)

Otherwise, can manually set the settings and still enable DOCP just to be safe and try to make sure those manual settings you applied actually take.

Solution

PassedFN

Prominent
Jun 30, 2019
Hey thanks for ur response.
Well I think im going to update my BIOS.
Should I do it via q-flash? And is there some way to see if there even is an XMP profile in my RAM as well?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you can see if there's an XMP profile for RAM when you go into advanced settings in BIOS and go to DRAM settings.

Should be able to select a profile from a drop down menu.

And q-flash is fine.
If your board supports it, might even be able to update BIOS via internet right from the BIOS itself as long as you are hard lined, but not all boards and BIOS's support that feature of updating the BIOS.

Most BIOS flashing is either done via an application you run on your PC followed by a restart, or by putting the BIOS file onto the root of a flash drive then going into the BIOS and updating from that file.

For proper methods of updating the BIOS on your board follow the instructions laid out by the manufacturer in the support files for that board at their website.