[SOLVED] Should i update my Bios?

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
So i builted my first pc yesterday and installed drivers and windows updates. now should i update my bios, because currently i have b450 tomahawk max and current version of my bios is 7C02v34 and latest bios version is 7C02v35 and on website it says that it has improved system boot up time and improved pci-e device compatibility. what do you think should i update or stick to the rule "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?

Solution
ok, i guess i wont be updating bios, but just in case a question can non-updated bios sometime affect gaming or it doesnt affect gaming at all?
As far as I know...I have never had a case where not running on the latest BIOS has affected my gaming. The main reason I update the BIOS is for CPU upgrades but I have upgraded the BIOS and have used the same CPU....and I've never noticed an improvement in gaming with a new BIOS. I'm not saying it's impossible...but a new BIOS has never helped my gaming performance....although there are probably cases where it will.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Updating BIOS tends to be a one way or the other idea for many people. Even board manufacturers themselves will often have notes alongside various versions stating that if you aren't having an issue, don't update. Others feel that if it's available you should update to it like a new driver.

I am often more of a mind to be in the "if it isn't broken" camp. Personally will NEVER update the BIOS of a machine on nothing but wall power and even then generally won't unless I need to for things like a CPU upgrade and such.

So i builted my first pc yesterday and installed drivers and windows updates. now should i update my bios, because currently i have b450 tomahawk max and current version of my bios is 7C02v34 and latest bios version is 7C02v35 and on website it says that it has improved system boot up time and improved pci-e device compatibility. what do you think should i update or stick to the rule "if it aint broke dont fix it" ?
I am also in the "if it ain't broke , don't fix it" camp.
I only update the BIOS if I have to or if I have an issue I think it will solve.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
Updating BIOS tends to be a one way or the other idea for many people. Even board manufacturers themselves will often have notes alongside various versions stating that if you aren't having an issue, don't update. Others feel that if it's available you should update to it like a new driver.

I am often more of a mind to be in the "if it isn't broken" camp. Personally will NEVER update the BIOS of a machine on nothing but wall power and even then generally won't unless I need to for things like a CPU upgrade and such.
ok, i guess i wont be updating bios, but just in case a question can non-updated bios sometime affect gaming or it doesnt affect gaming at all?

As far as I know...I have never had a case where not running on the latest BIOS has affected my gaming. The main reason I update the BIOS is for CPU upgrades but I have upgraded the BIOS and have used the same CPU....and I've never noticed an improvement in gaming with a new BIOS. I'm not saying it's impossible...but a new BIOS has never helped my gaming performance....although there are probably cases where it will.

Solution

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
ok, thanks on advices ; ))