[SOLVED] Should I update my chipset driver?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
First, I am not sure exactly what a chipset driver updates. I went to AMD's support site and it said the following:

"For use with systems running Microsoft® Windows® 7 or 10 AND equipped with AMD Radeon™ graphics, AMD Radeon Pro graphics, or AMD processors with Radeon graphics. "

The last part says AMD processors WITH Radeon graphics. Does this mean if I am running an AMD processor (5900X) and a 3080 GPU I shouldn't be installing a new driver?

I went to device manager and clicked on processor and it brought up the 24 entries for the 5900X. I right clicked on one of them and went to the driver tab and it said driver 10.0.19041.546 with a date of 4/21/2009.

AMD's manual driver selection shows chipsets and processors in the first drop down box. I choose chipsets, socket AM4 and X570 and it shows AMD chipset drivers version 3.10.08.506. If I choose processors, Ryzen processors, Ryzen 9 desktop processors and 5900X it shows a download for Ryzen Master.

Should I be leaving well enough alone or updating? If I should be updating should I go through AMD's support page or update it through device manager?

Ryzen 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio
G. Skill 32GB RAM 3600MHz
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB x2
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Upon further reading it looks like the chipset is on the motherboard so I wasn't understanding completely. Looking at the driver version of my CPU in device manager wasn't showing me anything to do with the chipset. Where can i view the current version of my chipset?

CPU-Z shows in the mainboard tab: AMD, Ryzen SOC, revision 00.

Last edited:
Solution
First, I am not sure exactly what a chipset driver updates. I went to AMD's support site and it said the following:

"For use with systems running Microsoft® Windows® 7 or 10 AND equipped with AMD Radeon™ graphics, AMD Radeon Pro graphics, or AMD processors with Radeon graphics. "

The last part says AMD processors WITH Radeon graphics. Does this mean if I am running an AMD processor (5900X) and a 3080 GPU I shouldn't be installing a new driver?

I went to device manager and clicked on processor and it brought up the 24 entries for the 5900X. I right clicked on one of them and went to the driver tab and it said driver 10.0.19041.546 with a date of 4/21/2009.

AMD's manual driver selection shows chipsets and processors in the first...

AMD's manual driver selection shows chipsets and processors in the first drop down box. I choose chipsets, socket AM4 and X570 and it shows AMD chipset drivers version 3.10.08.506. If I choose processors, Ryzen processors, Ryzen 9 desktop processors and 5900X it shows a download for Ryzen Master.

Should I be leaving well enough alone or updating? If I should be updating should I go through AMD's support page or update it through device manager?

Ryzen 5900X
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
MSI 3080 Gaming Z Trio
G. Skill 32GB RAM 3600MHz
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB x2
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Upon further reading it looks like the chipset is on the motherboard so I wasn't understanding completely. Looking at the driver version of my CPU in device manager wasn't showing me anything to do with the chipset. Where can i view the current version of my chipset?

CPU-Z shows in the mainboard tab: AMD, Ryzen SOC, revision 00.
CPU drivers have nothing to do with chipset drivers, CPU drivers are integrated in Windows so make sure windows are up to date. If you are running W11 it's even more important to have them up to date. In latest version there were some changes/fixes specially for Ryzen.
Chipset driver is actually conglomerate of 6-8 drivers and utilities for it's different parts. Get them from AMD site https://www.amd.com/en/support where they are newest and also contain fixes for Windows.
I would also check and update BIOS to newest. Most often it's recommended to install newest chipset drivers before updating BIOS.

Solution

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
CPU drivers have nothing to do with chipset drivers, CPU drivers are integrated in Windows so make sure windows are up to date. If you are running W11 it's even more important to have them up to date. In latest version there were some changes/fixes specially for Ryzen.
Chipset driver is actually conglomerate of 6-8 drivers and utilities for it's different parts. Get them from AMD site https://www.amd.com/en/support where they are newest and also contain fixes for Windows.
I would also check and update BIOS to newest. Most often it's recommended to install newest chipset drivers before updating BIOS.
I updated BIOS as soon as I fired up the new build. I have gone to the AMD support site and let it install all the updated drivers for the chipset. Thanks.

Reactions: CountMike