[SOLVED] Should I update my GPU's drivers on old card ?

evtimtrago

Prominent
Dec 13, 2018
Hello lads, so I was thinking today regarding that matter, shall I do that ? I am considering to upgrade my build, but as of now I'm still rocking it with gtx 750 ti, however I still get occasional updates for my graphic card, does it matter if i do not update them ? To the best of my knowledge, you must do that if you want to play the newest titles, because those drivers actually provide you "optimization" and I don't think that will matter for a card from 2014. What is your opinion on that ?

Solution
Even nvidia experience has instrumentation and they are constantly contacting nvidia.
I don't need that. But, opinions vary.

When there is a difference in capability between the pc ability to generate frames and the ability of the monitor to display them there will be issues. Not only stuttering, but input latency.
Here is a interesting article that discusses the situation. It does not apply to a GTX750ti though.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13
Hello lads, so I was thinking today regarding that matter, shall I do that ? I am considering to upgrade my build, but as of now I'm still rocking it with gtx 750 ti, however I still get occasional updates for my graphic card, does it matter if i do not update them ? To the best of my knowledge, you must do that if you want to play the newest titles, because those drivers actually provide you "optimization" and I don't think that will matter for a card from 2014. What is your opinion on that ?
i mean it certanly wont do anything bad,it will just do better.Update it

Reactions: evtimtrago
I would be wary about "getting updates" without knowing the source.
Even windows does not always send out better graphics updates.
Driver update apps may be OK, but they may also install tracking and other malware.

I would not update drivers willy-nilly unless I had a problem or a new game that might need it.
Then, I would only download the update directly from nvidia.

evtimtrago

Prominent
Dec 13, 2018
I would be wary about "getting updates" without knowing the source.
Even windows does not always send out better graphics updates.
Driver update apps may be OK, but they may also install tracking and other malware.

I would not update drivers willy-nilly unless I had a problem or a new game that might need it.
Then, I would only download the update directly from nvidia.
Forgot to mention that I am getting those updates from Nvidia Experience, they are from legit source. I was just bothered at some point to update them because I don't see any difference in the games. And it's a reasonable, I cannot expect something from a 6 year old GPU. Although I am having a problem with my monitor, I feel like i should make another thread. But tldr, I have 100 fps in specific games, and i have stuttering on my monitor. V-Sync solves it, but I have no clue on whether or not I will be able to fix it with v-sync turned off

Even nvidia experience has instrumentation and they are constantly contacting nvidia.

When there is a difference in capability between the pc ability to generate frames and the ability of the monitor to display them there will be issues. Not only stuttering, but input latency.
Here is a interesting article that discusses the situation. It does not apply to a GTX750ti though.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

Reactions: evtimtrago
Solution

evtimtrago

Prominent
Dec 13, 2018

Thank you so much for your opinion. I will take a look on this right now.