Should I update new XP install if I only use it for running software, totally offline.

MsAntonia

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
With the upcoming end of security support for XP, I've been converting some XP machines to dual-boot XP and Linux. For online access I use onlly Linux. I'll disable networking in XP so the machines won't go online when that operating system is up.

But, I still have a few software programs such as Dreamweaver that I need to run on XP. I'll completely reinstall XP on some of the machines because they are due for that. My question is, from a purely functional and speed standpoint in running Dreamweaver and several other 32-bit software on XP, should I update XP as far as it will go. With SP3? And with the updates after that? Since I'm not online in XP, I assume from a security standpoint that isn't necessary. I've also read in a few places that updates tend to slow XP down as the updates accumulate. I don't know if that is correct, but what are the experts recommendation on installing updates just to run software offline? Is it necessary or even desireable?

MsAntonia

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
That brings up another question. If I update the software in June, for instance, which is two months after the security updates cease, is it safe to do that if the machine is behind a hardware router firewall, and the update is the only thing that is done?. No browsing around or anything like that. I can't do it before then because I'm on assignment in Asia and away from home until then.

Danimal1q2w3

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Just download the service pack 2 setup file they have them for offline installations. Put it on a cd or a USB drive. I know a lot of older machines need a chipset driver to use USB so maybe just burn the whole thing to a cd

MsAntonia

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Since I already have SP3 update on an external hard drive, can't I just jump from the fresh xp install directly to the sp3 update and be done with it?

Danimal1q2w3

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

No unfortunately it's not so simple you just install sp2 first. You can skip sp1 however and go straight to 2

MsAntonia

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Good. I'm glad I asked. I just assumed. I'll go to the MS site then and search out SP2, put that on first, and then use my sp3 update I already have. Thanks much...

On a fresh installation and after updating to SP3, there are over 140 subsequent updates to download. For me, the only safe way to run XP after April will be in a Virtual Machine within a Linux system - totally invisible to the outside world. XP users without that protection will have no idea where the next threat will come from.

I'm not being alarmist here - it is highly likely to happen just so. For those who simply cannot afford to upgrade to another Windows system, this is the best option - Linux systems are free.