[SOLVED] Should i update to newest drivers?

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017
Ok, so here's the thing... I have a gtx 1080Ti Msi gaming x, and a while back i updated my graphic drivers... I dont remember which one but it was focused on the 20 series. So i updated it and chose express installation...it broke my gpu, my pc was turned on but there was a black flickering screen. I had to unplug my pc. I tried booting into bios but no luck, everytime i turned on my pc there was just a black flickering screen. Anyways i called the dude that built my pc and he told me that something happened to a battery of the gpu (sorry for sloppy explanation, i dont remember well), and told me the bios of the gpu was changed or deleted. So he told me how to fix that, but he said it could happen anytime again. I havent updated my drivers since. I bought red dead redemption 2 yesterday and i know there's an update that says improvements for 20 series for rdr2, but im scared that my gpu will completely die. I know that when i update gpu drivers its normal for the screen to go black for a second but that was not the case. Can someone tell me if its safe to update to the newest drivers even tho it says 20 series. Sorry for the bad explanation :3 And thanks in advance! <3

Solution
It shouldn't have caused that issue in the first place. Also GPU's don't have batteries on them, the motherboard does, and driver updates don't affect your graphics card VBIOS nor your motherboard's BIOS for that matter, don't know why that guy who built it told you that.

The cause of that previous issue was most likely a corrupt installation or done at an improper time. There should be no compatibility issues with installing the newest drivers and your 1080 Ti. Just make sure ALL other programs and applications are closed whilst installing the newest drivers.
It shouldn't have caused that issue in the first place. Also GPU's don't have batteries on them, the motherboard does, and driver updates don't affect your graphics card VBIOS nor your motherboard's BIOS for that matter, don't know why that guy who built it told you that.

The cause of that previous issue was most likely a corrupt installation or done at an improper time. There should be no compatibility issues with installing the newest drivers and your 1080 Ti. Just make sure ALL other programs and applications are closed whilst installing the newest drivers.

Solution

dinodinac2003

Honorable
Nov 27, 2017

Thank you very much. Im sure the guy didnt say that exactly, my fault on the explanation. Im going to try to install the drivers right now following your instructions. Thanks again :)