[SOLVED] Should I upgrade an Old PC?

kyd15

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Is it worth upgrading a PC over 6 years of age? I'm planning to upgrade graphics card and RAM.

here are the system specifications,

Intel core i5 3470 3.2Ghz
G.skill 4GB ddr3
Gigabyte h77-ds3h
Gigabyte gt 730 2gb gddr5
Hitachi 500gb
Inwin c638 case + inwin 400w PSU

Solution
IMO for the price now, you are likely better upgrading to a new platform. The 3rd gen Intel are showing their age now. And if you wanted to upgrade to a new GPU, it would be wise to upgrade your PSU too. So already that's 3 components already.

Better yet it would be identifying what current problems you are facing in your applications?
Is it mostly gaming? If so, which components hold you back?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
IMO for the price now, you are likely better upgrading to a new platform. The 3rd gen Intel are showing their age now. And if you wanted to upgrade to a new GPU, it would be wise to upgrade your PSU too. So already that's 3 components already.

Better yet it would be identifying what current problems you are facing in your applications?

Solution

kyd15

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it's gaming which is holding me back. My PC lacks power to run next-gen games. But I'm planning to play only a few games like GTA V, Witcher 3, etc...