[SOLVED] Should I upgrade CPU or GPU first?

ShawnSMB

Honorable
Dec 7, 2014
I currently have $300, and I want to upgrade my PC. I'm not sure whether it would be more beneficial to upgrade my CPU or my GPU, in order to upgrade my CPU, I would also need to upgrade my motherboard and ram.

My current specs are:
AMD FX 8350
GTX 1050 2GB
16GB DDR3 Ram

I was thinking either getting the GTX 1060 6GB or the Ryzen 5 1600, as well as a motherboard and 16GB of DDR4 Ram.

Solution
I want to say CPU, but you're not going to do it with 300 bucks, because you need a CPU, motherboard and memory, and you're not going to get a really capable CPU, motherboard and 16GB of memory for that price. Going with a first gen Ryzen CPU is senseless, because you can get a second Gen for not much more, and going with a first Gen Ryzen board is senseless, because it lacks the level of memory compatibility that the second gen B450 and X470 boards have, even with recent BIOS updates.

You CAN get a much better card though, and it WILL improve your gaming even with your current CPU, so that is the way I'd recommend doing it. Then, when you save up a bit more than that, upgrade the whole platform.

First, this:

PCPartPicker part...
I want to say CPU, but you're not going to do it with 300 bucks, because you need a CPU, motherboard and memory, and you're not going to get a really capable CPU, motherboard and 16GB of memory for that price. Going with a first gen Ryzen CPU is senseless, because you can get a second Gen for not much more, and going with a first Gen Ryzen board is senseless, because it lacks the level of memory compatibility that the second gen B450 and X470 boards have, even with recent BIOS updates.

You CAN get a much better card though, and it WILL improve your gaming even with your current CPU, so that is the way I'd recommend doing it. Then, when you save up a bit more than that, upgrade the whole platform.

First, this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC DT Video Card ($254.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $254.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-31 00:26 EST-0500

Then this on the next go around, or something similar to it:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($82.68 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $347.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-31 00:22 EST-0500

Solution