[SOLVED] Should I upgrade CPU or GPU

commizzar

Reputable
Jun 10, 2018
I have a Ryzen 5 2600x and a GTX 1080 running on a Aorus Gaming 7 wifi. Looking to upgrade. Will I see a bigger gain in performance boost with upgrading to a 5700 xt or Ryzen 7 3800x?

Solution
I think I'd still upgrade the CPU first because the 2600 is not especially capable by comparison and the fact that you have a 100hz monitor says that you're going to want that capability in order to try to sustain reasonably close to 100fps. Honestly, with that ultrawide resolution of 1440p, you're pushing about 25% more pixels than a standard 1440p display and it may be necessary for you to look at upgrading both at some point depending on your requirements or whether you're ok with some lowering of settings. If you do lower settings, then the CPU is going to become an even bigger consideration.
Well, you'd see a bigger gain from the CPU... but for the most part you aren't setting yourself up for a noticeable upgrade. The performance difference between either component isn't very big. You're looking about 12% on the graphics or 20% on the CPU. In every day usage there won't be a difference. In games you'll have to stare at the frame rate counter to tell a difference because in game performance won't be noticeable.

So, it is up to you, but I wouldn't upgrade anything just yet. Wait for big Navi and see what happens there.

Reactions: commizzar
I think I'd still upgrade the CPU first because the 2600 is not especially capable by comparison and the fact that you have a 100hz monitor says that you're going to want that capability in order to try to sustain reasonably close to 100fps. Honestly, with that ultrawide resolution of 1440p, you're pushing about 25% more pixels than a standard 1440p display and it may be necessary for you to look at upgrading both at some point depending on your requirements or whether you're ok with some lowering of settings. If you do lower settings, then the CPU is going to become an even bigger consideration.

Reactions: commizzar
Solution