[SOLVED] Should I upgrade CPU or RAM ?

dannym213

Commendable
Sep 10, 2021
Hey, im wondering if I should uprade my cpu or ram, like would a better cpu stop fps drops?
My current components are:
i3 3240, gt 1030 gddr5, 4gb ram, 500gb hdd

Solution
I think it just isn't worth to invest any money in your current system...
Your CPU is 2C/4T, so biggest speed gain you'd get if you replace it with 4C/8T CPU -that would be some i7 CPU (because i5 aren't multithread as far I know). You should check if motherboard supports it, though.
RAM... with 8G RAM system would breath much better of course. But investing in DDR3 memory isn't really that smart nowaday.
In short, whatever you add, system will still be slow by today's standards and expectations. So, save the money and buy something newer -doesn't need to be the latest. Keep in mind, even if you buy the cheapest & slowest new stuff, it will still be much faster than any upgrade on your existing system.
Just sharing my thoughts
I think it just isn't worth to invest any money in your current system...
Your CPU is 2C/4T, so biggest speed gain you'd get if you replace it with 4C/8T CPU -that would be some i7 CPU (because i5 aren't multithread as far I know). You should check if motherboard supports it, though.
RAM... with 8G RAM system would breath much better of course. But investing in DDR3 memory isn't really that smart nowaday.
In short, whatever you add, system will still be slow by today's standards and expectations. So, save the money and buy something newer -doesn't need to be the latest. Keep in mind, even if you buy the cheapest & slowest new stuff, it will still be much faster than any upgrade on your existing system.
Just sharing my thoughts

Solution