[SOLVED] should I upgrade cpu or video card?

Dec 16, 2019
Hey guys, I am not looking to rebuild my entire PC. Simply looking for some recommendations on what I should upgrade for current games.

I am struggling a little with the star wars fallen order to play it on the recommended settings. I freeze frames for 5-10 seconds at times.

Current build is the following:
  • Intel i5-6600k 3.50GHz
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
  • Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
  • G,Skill Ripjaws 16gb RAM
  • 256gb SSD
  • 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • BenQ 27in LED 1920z1080
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 650W 80 Plus Gold PS
  • BitFenix Aurora ATX Mit Tower case tempered glass window

Solution
You might only need to tweak your settings. Sending frames from your video card to your monitor that it can't use is a waste of resources. If you use a 60hz. monitor then cap your fps to 60 and turn vsync off. Turn origin overlay in-game to off and disable steam overlay. Set texture filtering to performance. Turn off hardware acceleration and overlay for discord if you're using that. Make sure you have latest Nvidia drivers. I don't have this game but if you installed it on your regular hard drive it may be accessing the drive to load textures or something which will cause a delay as the drive spins up. If there's a setting to preload textures use it. Set Nvidia power management to performance. Your system is good enough that you...
Hey guys, I am not looking to rebuild my entire PC. Simply looking for some recommendations on what I should upgrade for current games.

Current build is the following:
  • 256gb SSD
  • 3TB HDD
that CPU/GPU freeze should not happen.
Its EITHER those 2 above, where EVERYTHING waits for pieces of code to load,
OR
CPU paste dried up and you are getting horrible thermal issues.

1. check paste. its 5$/1h operation that might solve the problem.
  2. buy SSD (512GB, best NVME) and move OS there, THEN you can use that SSD as "current games" drive,
with all the other clutter on HDD.

GTX1060 is still plenty competent for 1080P, as I use one myself....

Given your choices, I'd go for a CPU upgrade (6600 with 4c/4 threads is quickly becoming a minimum FPS irritant at best), but, this will require a MB upgrade as well....

Choose between 9900K and Ryzen 3600/3700...or so seems to be the general consensus...

Reactions: Phaaze88
You might only need to tweak your settings. Sending frames from your video card to your monitor that it can't use is a waste of resources. If you use a 60hz. monitor then cap your fps to 60 and turn vsync off. Turn origin overlay in-game to off and disable steam overlay. Set texture filtering to performance. Turn off hardware acceleration and overlay for discord if you're using that. Make sure you have latest Nvidia drivers. I don't have this game but if you installed it on your regular hard drive it may be accessing the drive to load textures or something which will cause a delay as the drive spins up. If there's a setting to preload textures use it. Set Nvidia power management to performance. Your system is good enough that you should be able to play the game smoothly at a decent fps.

Reactions: Nightweb
Solution
Dec 16, 2019
You might only need to tweak your settings. Sending frames from your video card to your monitor that it can't use is a waste of resources. If you use a 60hz. monitor then cap your fps to 60 and turn vsync off. Turn origin overlay in-game to off and disable steam overlay. Set texture filtering to performance. Turn off hardware acceleration and overlay for discord if you're using that. Make sure you have latest Nvidia drivers. I don't have this game but if you installed it on your regular hard drive it may be accessing the drive to load textures or something which will cause a delay as the drive spins up. If there's a setting to preload textures use it. Set Nvidia power management to performance. Your system is good enough that you should be able to play the game smoothly at a decent fps.
I'll definitely try this first. Thank you
I know I'll have to bite the bullet sooner rather than later to upgrade but I don't have 1500 to upgrade and I have a motorcycle license to renew, helmet to buy so if I ça. Last another year, I'd be happy