[SOLVED] Should I upgrade from 2400 mhz?

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello dudes!

Sadly, I have just bought a second 2400 mhz for making my memory dual channel.Do you think it is worth selling these 2 sticks and buy 2 sticks of 3000/3200 mhz? I am mainly using my machine for gaming and in the next days I'll be a proud owner of a 2600 from AMD. Do you think it's worth the financial effort to change my memory sticks? 16 gigs, ofc, but now up to 3200 mhz.

Solution
Actually, in gaming these kind of frequencies are really negligible in real world situations. During benchmark testing you will see differing variations but in applications especially for gaming , you're not going to see mind blowing performance changes.

In other words, you would see improvements during rendering, compiling, and other data intensive tasks that require memory to be utilized. However if it seems imperative that you want to upgrade, from 2400mhz to the next jump of 3200 is reasonable and correct. And if you're even more extreme the next tier jump would be from 3200-3400 to possible 4000 and upwards, but prepare for the costs to skyrocket. Good luck!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Actually, in gaming these kind of frequencies are really negligible in real world situations. During benchmark testing you will see differing variations but in applications especially for gaming , you're not going to see mind blowing performance changes.

In other words, you would see improvements during rendering, compiling, and other data intensive tasks that require memory to be utilized. However if it seems imperative that you want to upgrade, from 2400mhz to the next jump of 3200 is reasonable and correct. And if you're even more extreme the next tier jump would be from 3200-3400 to possible 4000 and upwards, but prepare for the costs to skyrocket. Good luck!

Solution

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016

Thanks for your answer, Quarkz!

It seems like an unnecessary cost, if it won't really improve my gaming experience. Maybe I will do it if I get to sell mine someday or maybe it'll be a future upgrade when the prices will lower. Until then I'll use these sticks of RAM. I made the mistake when I chose a 2400 mhz stick 2 years ago (but hopping from 1600 DDR3 to this 2400 seemed huge for me).

Thanks again!