[SOLVED] Should I upgrade from 2600k

gotsand75

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
I currently have have 1080 paired with a 2600k @ 4.4 and 32 gigs of ram @ 1833.

Should I upgrade to a ryzen 5 2600 and 16 gigs of 3000 ram.

Is it worth it for this so called budget build or not worth it unless I go to a 8700k or something a lot more money.

Solution
The improvement is worth it but I would keep the 2700k until summer when new Zen 2 (Ryzen's third gen architecture) is going to be shown and probably soonly released as they are improving the litography from 14nm to 7nm and then improving hugely the performance and the performance per dollar.

That "overheating and slow" thing is just a lie, in fact Intel processors bundled cooler has always been pretty mediocre and didn't include one in the overclocking versions, while all Ryzens come with a fairly good cooler.

Ryzen is much better for editting and multitasking than Intel Core, but also have a better performance per dollar for games.

Phazoner

Distinguished
The improvement is worth it but I would keep the 2700k until summer when new Zen 2 (Ryzen's third gen architecture) is going to be shown and probably soonly released as they are improving the litography from 14nm to 7nm and then improving hugely the performance and the performance per dollar.

That "overheating and slow" thing is just a lie, in fact Intel processors bundled cooler has always been pretty mediocre and didn't include one in the overclocking versions, while all Ryzens come with a fairly good cooler.

Ryzen is much better for editting and multitasking than Intel Core, but also have a better performance per dollar for games.

Solution