Question Should I upgrade from 8GB to 16GB ram or is it not worth it

Jul 13, 2023
I have a low end laptop that barely runs AAA games from the early 2010s, and I also play modded minecraft which usually requires a lot of ram to play large modpacks. I also can't have any programs in the background when gaming without significant overheating which more ram definitely should help with. I've heard you shouldn't upgrade ram on older models but this is a recent model that's not made for high-end gaming, so will it really make a difference or should i just not bother? Most games I play run at around 30-40 FPS and make the gpu heat up to 80c so I'm not sure if this will really help.

Specs:
GPU: Mx330, CPU: i5-1035G1, RAM: 8GB.

Last edited:
I have a low end laptop that barely runs AAA games from the early 2010s, and I also play modded minecraft which usually requires a lot of ram to play large modpacks. I also can't have any programs in the background when gaming without significant overheating which more ram definitely should help with. I've heard you shouldn't upgrade ram on older models but this is a recent model that's not made for high-end gaming, so will it really make a difference or should i just not bother? Most games I play run at around 30-40 FPS and make the gpu heat up to 80c so I'm not sure if this will really help.

Specs:
GPU: Mx330, CPU: i5-1035G1, RAM: 8GB.
Go here and run the scanner see what it shows.
Crucial

Reactions: Unolocogringo
If your laptop is made in the last few years it's highly likely it cannot be upgraded at all. You'll need to confirm whether or not your particular model even has SODIMM slots, or if the RAM is soldered to the mainboard as is often the case before you proceed.

Jul 13, 2023
It says SODIMM in task manager so I'm assuming it does but I'm not very good at this stuff so i'm not sure
If your laptop is made in the last few years it's highly likely it cannot be upgraded at all. You'll need to confirm whether or not your particular model even has SODIMM slots, or if the RAM is soldered to the mainboard as is often the case before you proceed.