[SOLVED] Should I upgrade from a i5 4570 to a Ryzen 3600?

Mar 21, 2019
Need advice on the upgrade. I know all the relevant....new motherboard and Ram but will I see a noticable difference in performance. I mainly play games such as cities skylines, FM etc and sometimes AAA games will the improved single core performance be beneficial? Thanks in advance Sean

Solution
My general rule of "should I upgrade" boils down to one simple question: is there any specific thing of importance to you that your current system is struggling with? If the answer is that you are still generally happy with performance in everything you do, then there may be little to no point in upgrading now as you may simply end up disappointed about not getting as much of an improvement as you were expecting out of the $350+ spent on the upgrade.

I'm still using an i5-3470, the only game I particularly care about is WoW and my old i5 is still doing perfectly fine there. Everything else I do can just chug along in the background while I do other stuff so I'm not particularly pressed for higher CPU throughput. I would have...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is the rest of your system spec including PSU make and model?

being ignorant to the rest of your system - generally yes you will see an improvement, and you'll definitely see an improvement in minimum FPS upkeep. I upgraded from the 4690K (OC) to a 3600X and it's had great impact. And the 4690K is an improvement over the 4570.

Reactions: seanjg1990
Mar 21, 2019

being ignorant to the rest of your system - generally yes you will see an improvement, and you'll definitely see an improvement in minimum FPS upkeep. I upgraded from the 4690K (OC) to a 3600X and it's had great impact. And the 4690K is an improvement over the 4570.
Here it goes.
RX580 (8GB)
EVGA 650 PSU
250gb ssd

Assume these will be fine to slot in and upgrade later down the road.

Cheers

Mar 21, 2019

Here it goes.
RX580 (8GB)
EVGA 650 PSU
250gb ssd

Cheers

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Here it goes.
RX580 (8GB)
EVGA 650 PSU
250gb ssd

Cheers
The 3600 will work perfectly fine with them.
Obviously you'll need a new motherboard and RAM as you are probably aware.

The 3600 outperform the 4570 on practically every level, much better single core, much better multicore, excellent value for money, much higher turbo.

Is there anything in your current set up currently disappointing you? If you are already hitting the FPS solid that you want, then you might not see a huge benefit, but you'll likely see your minimum FPS improve a lot, and in more pressing games, the 3600 will outperform the 4570 on every level.

Reactions: seanjg1990
Mar 21, 2019
The 3600 will work perfectly fine with them.
Obviously you'll need a new motherboard and RAM as you are probably aware.

The 3600 outperform the 4570 on practically every level, much better single core, much better multicore, excellent value for money, much higher turbo.

Is there anything in your current set up currently disappointing you? If you are already hitting the FPS solid that you want, then you might not see a huge benefit, but you'll likely see your minimum FPS improve a lot, and in more pressing games, the 3600 will outperform the 4570 on every level.
I wouldn't say disappointing, the system is 6 years old now and wondered if an upgrade would see a certain increase in 'speed' for the games I play'mainly strategy and builders. Maybe I will hold off for another 6 months and see where the market goes. Cheers for replies appreciated.

InvalidError

Titan
I wouldn't say disappointing, the system is 6 years old now and wondered if an upgrade would see a certain increase in 'speed' for the games I play'mainly strategy and builders.
My general rule of "should I upgrade" boils down to one simple question: is there any specific thing of importance to you that your current system is struggling with? If the answer is that you are still generally happy with performance in everything you do, then there may be little to no point in upgrading now as you may simply end up disappointed about not getting as much of an improvement as you were expecting out of the $350+ spent on the upgrade.

I'm still using an i5-3470, the only game I particularly care about is WoW and my old i5 is still doing perfectly fine there. Everything else I do can just chug along in the background while I do other stuff so I'm not particularly pressed for higher CPU throughput. I would have upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 if the rumors of it being 8C16T turned out to be true but since they didn't, I'll be waiting for the Ryzen 4600 or a massive price cut on the 3700 next year to reconsider.

Mar 21, 2019

I'm still using an i5-3470, the only game I particularly care about is WoW and my old i5 is still doing perfectly fine there. Everything else I do can just chug along in the background while I do other stuff so I'm not particularly pressed for higher CPU throughput. I would have upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 if the rumors of it being 8C16T turned out to be true but since they didn't, I'll be waiting for the Ryzen 4600 or a massive price cut on the 3700 next year to reconsider.
Makes total sense, I will hold off until I really need to upgrade or the system fails. Cheer for advice, cheers all!

Solution