[SOLVED] Should I upgrade from a i7-7700k?

tylerstl

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
I will be purchasing the RTX 3080 Founder's Edition and was wondering about the effect of bottle necking due to my current CPU. I will be upgrading my CPU soon and will also be taking recommendations that aren't breaking the bank.

Solution
The pixel count of the higher res is what hits the hardest. In game settings would be a runner-up, as well as whether you'll bother using the RT feature or not.
A number of reviews launched today, and some concerns were answered, such as:
-Vram amount. What people see is memory allocation, not how much is actually being used. There were some complaining that 10GBs of Vram wasn't enough for the higher resolutions. Not true.
-PCIe Gen 3 VS Gen 4. Gen 4 didn't change jack - at least, not on a gpu with 10GBs of Vram; try one with 4GBs instead.

tylerstl

Honorable
Nov 28, 2015
When I do have extra cash to upgrade my CPU, is there any recommendations you have? If you do have any, is there any specific motherboard that you would recommend with it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As you go up/down in resolution, the degree of the work the 2 have to do shifts.
-Go up, the cpu's work gets easier and the gpu's work gets harder. Because of this, you'll get more longevity out of the cpu, and upgrades here won't yield a significant change.
-Go down, and it's the other way around.

I'm glad you're looking for a 3080 at 4K, and not 1080p like some others are, when it benefits them less.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The pixel count of the higher res is what hits the hardest. In game settings would be a runner-up, as well as whether you'll bother using the RT feature or not.
A number of reviews launched today, and some concerns were answered, such as:
-Vram amount. What people see is memory allocation, not how much is actually being used. There were some complaining that 10GBs of Vram wasn't enough for the higher resolutions. Not true.
-PCIe Gen 3 VS Gen 4. Gen 4 didn't change jack - at least, not on a gpu with 10GBs of Vram; try one with 4GBs instead.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 7700k is as good as it gets for lga1151v1. To change cpus will require a motherboard change too. Maybe even a ram upgrade if you go with Ryzen and don't already have 16Gb of 3200MHz or better.

You'd be looking at $500+ for an extra 10-15 frames on average.

InvalidError

Titan
Resolution never affected VRAM usage much by itself beyond the frame buffer size and may never do. What does is more higher resolution assets to make higher resolution output look better, such as the 8k texture packs some newer games are getting and are starting to push 8GB cards over their limit. Looking forward to seeing how the RTX3070 handles that on 3.0x16 vs 4.0x16.