Should I upgrade from AMX FX-6300 Black Edition

noone_

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
Im fairly new to the pc world, so should I upgrade my CPU, one that's suitable for my motherboard? If so which one? I feel like my cpu is holding my gpu back in regards with fps.

PC specs:
CPU: Amd fx6300 black edition 3.5ghz 6 core
Mobo: Gigabyte 970-gaming AM3+
Gpu: asus geforce gtx 1060 turbo 6gb
Ram: corsair vengeance blue 16gb ddr3 1600mhz

Solution
Overclock your 6300. My 6350 is running at 4.29 using my Asus Sabertooth's auto-overclock settings. Stable for 3+ years. As sizzling said, there is no clear or reasonable upgrade path within AM3+ land.

Best to make the most of what you have with moderate overclocks and save up for a rebuild from the ground up and carry over what you can from the current build...case, PSU, GPU, cooler possibly. Any more money on this AMD generation is wasted money unless you absolutely cannot afford to move forward. And I love my build, but it's time to move on to Ryzen.

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
You could overclock the cpu to either 3.9 or 4.0, if you wanna go for it try to go for 4.3, but it shouldn't be holding back your gpu performance, 4 cores is even enough to run games well. You could also instead of overclocking your cpu, you overclock your GPU, you can overclock it by using NZXT's CAM software, there are tutorials on youtube on how to overclock using this software.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Overclock your 6300. My 6350 is running at 4.29 using my Asus Sabertooth's auto-overclock settings. Stable for 3+ years. As sizzling said, there is no clear or reasonable upgrade path within AM3+ land.

Best to make the most of what you have with moderate overclocks and save up for a rebuild from the ground up and carry over what you can from the current build...case, PSU, GPU, cooler possibly. Any more money on this AMD generation is wasted money unless you absolutely cannot afford to move forward. And I love my build, but it's time to move on to Ryzen.

Solution