Should I upgrade from GTX1050Ti 4gb to the GTX1060 6gb?

bobbyjoe01233

Prominent
Jan 9, 2018
Hey everyone!

I was thinking of getting a GTX1060 6gb to upgrade from my 1050ti. My 1050ti has been performing well, but I want to play games at 1080p 120fps since I have a 120hz monitor.

I was thinking of playing games like BO4, PUBG and some other AAA titles on my machine. On these games, I get about 60-80 on all low, and while this isn't a problem, it annoys me at how I can't make use of my 120hz.

Also, in games like Fortnite and Overwatch, I get 100fps, but still it doesn't reach 120fps. The graphics are already toned down to medium, and I don't want to lower it more.

Edit:
CPU - i5 6600 3.3ghz 3.9ghz turbo, 4 core
GPU - GTX 1050ti 4gb
RAM - 16gb ddr4 2133MHZ
STORAGE - 256gb SSD and 2TB 5400RPM HDD
PSU - Don't remember name, but it is a 730W PSU and I have a spare 6 pin connector

TL:DR: I want to play games at 120fps for 120hz, but my 1050ti is limiting that. Should I upgrade?

Solution
based on those specs, and the games you've talked about. If willing to sacrifice on graphic quality at 1080p, an overclocked 1060 6GB should get you fairly close if not on the money.

However, let it be known that PUBG is a horribly optimized game and you WILL NOT get over 100fps without turning down all the settings to garbage levels including the render distance.

BO4 is one of the latest AAA titles out there, and it's a fairly demanding one too. But with an overclocked 1060 should be doable at low settings.
Should be fine with Fortnite.

If it would be at all in your budget, I would recommend a 1070 if you can find one for a deal or in the used market and just overclock that and not have to suffer too low of graphic settings in some...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
based on those specs, and the games you've talked about. If willing to sacrifice on graphic quality at 1080p, an overclocked 1060 6GB should get you fairly close if not on the money.

However, let it be known that PUBG is a horribly optimized game and you WILL NOT get over 100fps without turning down all the settings to garbage levels including the render distance.

BO4 is one of the latest AAA titles out there, and it's a fairly demanding one too. But with an overclocked 1060 should be doable at low settings.
Should be fine with Fortnite.

If it would be at all in your budget, I would recommend a 1070 if you can find one for a deal or in the used market and just overclock that and not have to suffer too low of graphic settings in some of those AAA titles.

But your CPU is a bit on the low end for a few of the newest games. So be aware of any CPU bottlenecking that may occur in games you play with it.

But if a 1060 6GB is all that's within your ability to get, then get that and overclock it as far as it'll go stable.

Solution