Question Should I upgrade from i5 8400 to i9 9900k?

ognjenmaric123

Reputable
Mar 21, 2018
Hi everyone. So this is my current PC:
Gigabyte Z370P D3
i5 8400
GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz
Corsair CX750M (gray)
1080p 60Hz monitor

I recently got a 1440p 144Hz monitor from a friend for really cheap. I know that's way too much for my current system, but the price was too good to pass up.
Since the 1050 Ti is really showing it's age now even at 1080p, I'm planning to get a used RTX 3070/RX 6700XT or even a 3080/6800XT if the price is right.
I know that my current CPU would bottleneck every one of those GPUs, but I don't really have the money right now to get a whole new system. So my question is:
Should I get a i7 9700K/i9 9900K (can be found used for like 170$ now, at least in my country), and would that be enough for gaming at 1440p 60+ FPS for next 2-3 years?
Or should I just keep using the i5 8400 until I save up enough money for a new PC, which probably won't happen in the next 6 months at least?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I know that my current CPU would bottleneck every one of those GPUs, but I don't really have the money right now to get a whole new system.
The first part of this is application specific.
On the second part, priorities are backwards. Those cards may require a psu replacement; if you go all in with your money on the gpu, then start having power related issues, and unable to get a good psu because of lack of funds, then you're stuck until you're able.

I suggest saving up.

ognjenmaric123

Reputable
Mar 21, 2018
The first part of this is application specific.
On the second part, priorities are backwards. Those cards may require a psu replacement; if you go all in with your money on the gpu, then start having power related issues, and unable to get a good psu because of lack of funds, then you're stuck until you're able.

I suggest saving up.
Sorry, I probably should have included my PSU. It's a Corsair CX750M (gray), so I guess that should be good enough for the RTX 3070 at least?
Thank you for the advice.

Thank you for replying.
Yes, I checked for compatibility already, I'm just not sure if that upgrade is worth it, so I'm looking for other opinions.
A 9900K will do what your asking but I wouldn't put it on that board, those VRM's will probably run extremely hot and you will need a high end cooler, something like a Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NH-D15 to go with it. I would stick with what you've got for now and save for a more substantial upgrade where you can get a new CPU, board, RAM, GPU, PSU and potentially CPU cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd opt for the 9700k. Smaller power footprint, easier to cool, less stress on the mobo and for games is close enough to the 9900k to really make no substantial difference. Getting one from eBay will last long enough for 70 series amd/13th gen intel to settle down prices somewhat and give you time to save up enough to get something meaningful on a Black Friday deal next year.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Negative. CXM series is middle of the road, and psus 'age' over time.
I'd say you're due for a psu change, and should save up.
Middle of the road? OK, if comparing it across the entire spectrum of psus 🤣 but for Corsair, it's on the very bottom of the list, right next to the VS.

That's a hard No for a 30 series nvidia, the transient spikes will give that old CXM fits. The CXM was meant and designed as an Office/general use, basically Grandma's web chat pc. Not a gaming oriented pc.

Reactions: Nighthawk117