Should I upgrade from i7 6700K to 2700X or 9900K

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
Wassup everybody, I have a i7 6700K and am thinking about upgrading. But, im not sure which to go with...

Ryzen 2700X
i7 8700K
i9 9900K

Or should I just wait to see what the i7 9700K looks like or even if an 2800X comes out? Or is there anothe CPU i should consider. Thanks!

PC Specs:
i7-6700k
16gb (2x8) ddr4 RAM
msi z170A Mpower gaming motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM
rtx 2080 ti

Solution
For sure. Take the time to read my tutorial.

No, it's not a be all and end all of overclocking tutorials. Not even close. But it does cover in depth all the basic stuff you really want to KNOW before you start, and will help get you on the way to where those more advanced tutorials will make a lot of sense, which you can then apply to further tuning your overclock to really get the most out of it with the most stability and the least chance of harm to your system.
That depends. If just gaming, then it's still pretty good, especially if you overclock. But if you're gaming at a high level, plus trying to record, stream, use advanced overlays or a variety of other simultaneous processes, I've found that my 6700k, even at 4.6Ghz, tends to struggle a bit due to the additional processes. A few more cores won't hurt for these types of threaded considerations.

You have a very good setup already and I know the itch you have as I did the same from a 6700K to 8700K...I am very happy with the upgrade to the 8700K and if it was a gaming focus build then the 8700K would be my pick as it is just a couple of percentage points of the 9700K and 9900K which unfortunately Intel are charging the Earth and more for...

The 8700K will get you to 5GHz and drive the mighty 2080Ti you have (boy do I want one....but cannot afford it!!!!) really well...Still you are not to bad right now but if you have the itch...the 8700K would be my pick as not absurdly priced and faster than the 2700X..Unless productivity is key to you, then the 2700X come into play...

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
2 answers and i already think i shouldn't lol. I figured since it was 3 gen's old it was time. its been performing below its potential lately. I can't really isolate why, so I figured maybe it would be best to upgrade now, especially after getting the RTX.

If a i9-9900K is within your budget, buy it or you will forever wonder if you should have.

From a more value point of view, I think the i7-9700K is going to be the go to processor for gaming.
It is looking like the typical overclock will be north of 5.0 and that is what games need most.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I do lite workstation work. Hobby stuff, and also game and im not overclocked at the moment. I had some crash issues when I did. Which may be the cooler more the the cpu. My 6700 is running stock 4.0.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

LOL I definitely have the itch! I do use 3ds max and unreal and I game. So that is also a thing I am considering. I think the 2700x is probably perfect but, there's always the push for even more speed. I just can't see paying ... well after paying what i did for the RTX... so much for the 9900K.

The 6700K run (small OC) at 4.5 GHz matches/equals the 7700K at the same all-core clocks (MCE enabled), which, gave about 95% of the 8700K's frame rates in BF1 and BF5 recent 1080P testing...(naturally, this would assume a 'no streaming' scenario however, as 4c/8t, although still fine for gaming , becomes taxed at simultaneous gaming/streaming)

I'd stand pat another year and wait for 10 nm from Intel, or, see how AMD's 7 nm efforts look...

I understand where you're coming from as I'm still on my FX8350. It's still working fine for now but it would make no sense for me to upgrade at this point seeing how close to Zen 2 AMD is based on their projected early '19 release. I just think it would be in both our best interests to stand fast and wait.

Your motherboard is a really, really good one. Especially for MSI who I generally don't like or appreciate. In this case however, barring any manufacturing defects, that's a great board. You should have zero problems achieving a 4.5Ghz OC at the least. I can help with that if you care to try again. What CPU cooler do you have?

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I was thinking of the 9700 but i really wonder how it will perform everyday, with lite workstation tasks. and then its still more expensive then the 2700x.

I think I will stand pat, and see what AMD responds with.Competition brings out the best!

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I have an Kraken X61 AiO. And yes i do want to try it again! any info would be greatly appreciated!

You're kidding right? My 6700k, and the six others I've used in builds and configured overclocks on, have all been perfectly stable after extensive Prime95, Memtest86, Realbench and IBT testing using no more than 1.35v and some fiddling with other settings like LLC, VCCIO, System agent, etc. Certainly nothing that high is needed.

One of them was completely stable at 4.6Ghz at 1.335v. So it's not ever a cookie cutter situation and you can't just say throw this on it and it's fine. Well, with voltage that high, I guess you can, but that's a terrible way to do things and you'll be severely limiting your OC headroom thermally with voltage like that.

I'd probably start at 4.5Ghz with a 1.35v core voltage as a baseline and experiment from there. ALWAYS run Realbench between changes to voltage or clock speed, every change to anything directly relevant to the CPU in the bios, before moving on or calling it good. 4 hours for incremental changes, 8 hours before saying OK, that's good now.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Thanks!!! Ill update once done and let you know how it went.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I'll try that out! Ill let you know. Thanks!

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I will do that! I appreciate this.

TRENDING THREADS