Question Should I upgrade from ryzen 1200 to 2600 or get a new i5 9400f?

Jun 28, 2019
Hi, I'm having a hard time deciding what to choose.

If I choose the ryzen 2600 ($240) I probably could get 50$ from reselling my ryzen 1200 which left me at ~$190.
If I choose the i5 9400f + motherboard ($245) I probably could get $110 from reselling my ryzen 1200 + motherboard which left me at ~$135

But performance wise, which cpu should I go with? to me, it's seem that the intel is always do better in gaming. Beside gaming, I also programming and using VMWare a lot.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I am in the same boat at the moment as i am building my brother a new pc.One the one hand we have the ryzen 5 2600.6c/12t it can run games fine(i have one of these)it can tackle workloads video editing etc.It's a better all round cpu.Then we have the gem of a 9400F.I am not the biggest intel fan because of there schemes etc but the price are great but it's Barely faster than the 2600 in games.It's only 6c/6t so streaming/workload would not be great.If you just game then by all means go intel for everything else amd's a better choice and it's a little more future proof cause of SMT or HT or what ever you want to call it :p

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are leaving out other factors. What motherboard and ram? If you are pushing 2133MHz ram, a 2600 is going to tank. Slower than a 3 legged dog with its front paws tied together. If you have a decent mobo and 3000/3200MHz ram, by all means stick with the 2600.

If you went Intel, from the price you are looking at an uber cheap, non OC mobo. That'll severely cripple any chances to maybe one day upgrade to a stronger cpu if games are swamping that little 6 core.

It's not always about the budget at this moment, gotta look at the big picture too.

Alliasjay

Honorable
May 28, 2014
Ryzen zen 2, I wouldn't quite purchase a 2000 series just yet. You may well be better off with a 3000 series as they seem to be pretty damn good looking at the new benchmarks even for the 3600. (https://www.techspot.com/news/80685-amd-ryzen-5-3600-benchmarks-leak-showing-only.html)

at $200 that's not half bad. considering your looking to pay more for a 2600 :)
Just my 2 penneth.
wait a week or two and you could be like 'omg glad i did wait :)' Intel is about to get smashed hard. same performance if not better in certain areas for half the price.

Jun 28, 2019
I have 16GB ram dual channel @2660MHz + GTX 1060 6GB. I don't know when will the Gen3 release just like when will game taking advantage of 6 cores. Most of the game still strongly depends on less core :( Every darn video I saw on youtube always has the Intel win Ryzen by 10-40 FPS on average in almost every major game. That's sad for Ryzen. I'm a bit competitive with my game that why I need good FPS but also keep the Chrome running in the background.

Every other comment says that Ryzen is good for its multitasking ability and I agree with that but does Ryzen will perform a single task application good as Intel? One more thing is that all these tools I use for programming (Like emulator) heavily depend on Intel technology. It's not that I will go with Intel. I just need a good argument to decide between the two.

The only thing that hold me back from upgrading to ryzen 2600 was the gaming benhmark I saw on youtube between i5 9400f vs Ryzen 2600x (Note the x)

Alliasjay

Honorable
May 28, 2014
Basically we're awaiting benchmarks, Some are coming out accidently atm. performance on the single core are near enough pretty much on par or a few % behind the intel counterparts. Multithreaded, wow just destroying intels. For me more cores with better performance works for me as I stream and game on the same system and wow. I can't wait!

here is a comparison of the 3900x vs the best of intel atm https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-12-core-cpu-performance-benchmarks-leak/ They should have called this cpu 'The Destroyer' ^-^ Not that you'll be going for the 3900x but look at the price difference for performance! My suggestion is just hold off a few weeks with what you have now if you can as you may save yourself some money, and even if you go with a 2000 series prices may drop also.
Amd are stepping up :D they just need to do the same with with their competitors in the gpu market.

. Most of the game still strongly depends on less core :(
Not quite true. Single core performance is still very important if aiming for high FPS. However most if not all AAA games from the last 1-2 years can utilise and benefit from more than 4 cores. We are already seeing some games when pushing high FPS maxing out or running very high usage on 6 core i5’s. This is why personally I’d avoid i5’s, it’s either Ryzen or i7/i9 if you want any longevity. Well that’s my opinion anyway.

Reactions: boju