[SOLVED] Should I upgrade from ryzen 5 1600x to r5 3600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuemora111

Commendable
Jan 18, 2018
Hello everyone, my current cpu is a ryzen 5 1600x and my gpu is a gigabyte rtx 2080 gaming oc. I mostly play insurgency sandstorm at 1440p. Framerate is decent enough averaging at around 90-100 fps, but I get dips to the 50's and inconsistent frametimes leaving it pretty stuttery. My gpu usage is quite low at around 40-60% no matter at what settings I'm playing at. Cpu usage sits around 60-70% percent I think, but it has never reached 100%.

Is this a bottleneck from my r5 1600x? And could upgrading to the 3600 fix it?

Thanks for any advice.

System specs:
Mobo: gigabyte ab350 gaming 3
Ram: ripjaws ddr4 16 gb 3000mhz

Half and Half Really about these cpu because they both got the same cores and threads and it will be noticeable but think you should save more and get
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Your motherboard can surrport these cpu with an bios update and they will give you really good noticeable performance so suggesting that if your going to upgrade find cpu that has more cores and threads and abit more speed then it will feel like upgrade!

The 3600, 3600x, and the 3700x would all make really solid upgrades over the 1600...just don't forget the BIOS updates before pulling the 1600.

Your average FPS in games will go up some...but the real boost will be at the minimum FPS were you wont see the big FPS drops like you do now.

Reactions: RodroX
The system requirements for your game seem quite modest.
If you are looking at a cpu upgrade, do a bit of testing to see what you need most.

If you lower your settings and the fps increases, it indicates that your graphics card is limiting you.

Try lowering your max cpu performance from 100% to 80%
If this greatly reduces your performance, it indicates that single thread speed is important to you and a upgrade to the 3700X would be good.

If your game can make use of many threads in a multiplayer environment, then adding threads from 12 to 16 with a 3700X or to 24 with a 3900X would be good.
To see how sensitive your game is to many threads,
experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.