• Just GPU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CPU & GPU

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

grhand82

Honorable
Oct 24, 2014
Ok, I am SURE a post out there is similar, BUT, I can't decide and I want/need some input

Currently I have an i7 7700k with a Z171 motherboard, overclocked/watercooled with a watercooled/overclocked Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070. This system is aging but still performs.

I have been looking at upgrading to a Ryzen 5 3600 with a X470i motherboard and a RX 5700 XT GPU. When I built my rig (OG rig had a 6700k that died so I took the best chip I could use in my mobo at the time) it was right when Skylake first hit.

On paper, going to the Ryzen CPU has a distinct advantage. I DON'T use the rig other than gaming and internet though. No streaming, no processor heavy workloads like editing. My GPU feels like the big weak point on the rig.

I can afford to upgrade, and can go to the 3700x budget wise, but I think the 3600 would do what I want/need. I don't want to afford going with an RTX 20xx because I could care less about ray tracing and will be gaming in 1440p, so I THINK the 5700 XT will be fine.

Should I upgrade the CPU or is at as moot as I think it would be?

Should I upgrade the GPU (lets face it, the 1070 GTX just doesn't have the guts for AAA games on ultra at 1440p)

Should I wait for the next iteration of GPU and CPU?

And WHY.

I want some opinions/thoughts/facts. I can't convince myself to upgrade but I have the bug, not sure if I will get enough gains for it to actually make sense.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS