Should I upgrade from this configuration based on i5 2300 (maybe to an i5 7600K)?

albieback

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
The current configuration for the PC I am working on is the following:

CPU Intel Core i5 2300
MOBO Pegatron IPISB-CH2 (Chicago)
4 GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Integrated vídeo
HD 1TB SATA 7200 (dunno the brand and model)
Blu-ray+DVD Recorder

Most of the use is for Office, Internet and Games. Important requirements are fast boot, fast searching and opening files, typical usage involves two or three user sessions opened. Lots and lots of file syncing to the cloud (Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.). There is a possibility that it is going to be used for non-linear video editing, for short videos (Youtube and the such).

Should I go full upgrade to, maybe, a i5 7600K? Or should I just go partial and upgrade the bottlenecks?

Money is somewhat an issue.

Thanks.

Solution
Even a full upgrade would be a misnomer, you are looking at brand new system with possibility to keep that HDD as secondary drive beside a relatively large SSD and that blue ray drive. Syncing to Cloud requires only fast internet so it's not a concern. There's also a question of a GPU if you want any good games to play on it.
Even a full upgrade would be a misnomer, you are looking at brand new system with possibility to keep that HDD as secondary drive beside a relatively large SSD and that blue ray drive. Syncing to Cloud requires only fast internet so it's not a concern. There's also a question of a GPU if you want any good games to play on it.

Solution

The only think that would seem worthy of upgrading is getting a ssd for the os and programs to make it snappy and maybe another 4 gb of ram + a gpu if you want to game on it.