[SOLVED] Should I upgrade monitor or video card?

Bonstrigmo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
Right now I'm using a 9900K with 2080ti and a 1440p 144hz monitor. I was looking at getting either a 3090 or the ROG SWIFT PG32UQX. If I went with the PG32UQX and used the 2080ti would I be able to get 60 fps in cyberpunk with high settings, hdr on, and RTX on at 4k? Right now I have RTX and high settings on the 1440p monitor and getting about 75-80 fps. Which would be a better upgrade?

Solution
I advise upgrading GPUs every other generation.

A 2080ti is an excellent card and seems a bit silly to pay a premium to replace it.

Cyberpunk is a bit of an outlier game right now. It is extremely hard to run, but there are some videos out there with optimized settings that can increase performance by ~25% without much hit to the quality of the image.

Maybe my eyes are getting old but I can't really tell much difference between 1440 and 4k.

IMO, you would be spending a lot of money and quite possibly not even notice a difference.

Right now, IMO, technology needs to break through the data transmission bottleneck.

The next generational leap will be super high (200+) refresh rate 4k monitors, and I don't think there is a cord that...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on your goal. If you want more FPS, the graphics card certainly.

If you want the higher resolution, and not upgrading your GPU, then you will have less FPS. I'm sure it will run, but less than 75-80FPS.

Proper solution is upgrade both, welcome to the world of high end gaming.

larsv8

Distinguished
I advise upgrading GPUs every other generation.

A 2080ti is an excellent card and seems a bit silly to pay a premium to replace it.

Cyberpunk is a bit of an outlier game right now. It is extremely hard to run, but there are some videos out there with optimized settings that can increase performance by ~25% without much hit to the quality of the image.

Maybe my eyes are getting old but I can't really tell much difference between 1440 and 4k.

IMO, you would be spending a lot of money and quite possibly not even notice a difference.

Right now, IMO, technology needs to break through the data transmission bottleneck.

The next generational leap will be super high (200+) refresh rate 4k monitors, and I don't think there is a cord that supports that right now.

Solution

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
If you want to play at 4K, you HAVE to upgrade the monitor by default. Not sure why the question is whether you should upgrade monitor or card. Unless you were wondering about CPU which I think is more than enough to do the job.
Shouldn't it be, if you need to upgrade your GPU for 4k gaming at high settings? I haven't used 2080ti but specs certainly can run 4K at decent settings. Users of that card might be able to add some thoughts on it's performance.

If I did go with the 3090 I would put the 2080ti in my GFs PC which has the 1080ti in it. The 2080ti would be a nice upgrade for her.
Have you considered the RTX 3080 Ti ?

Right now I'm using a 9900K with 2080ti and a 1440p 144hz monitor. I was looking at getting either a 3090 or the ROG SWIFT PG32UQX. If I went with the PG32UQX and used the 2080ti would I be able to get 60 fps in cyberpunk with high settings, hdr on, and RTX on at 4k?
A few benchmarks I'm seeing with the RTX 2080 Ti, although on Ultra settings, were getting around 30 FPS at 4K with ray tracing and DLSS. Setting the quality down a notch may improve things, but I'm not confident you'll get anywhere near 60FPS.

Though even the RTX 3090 can't manage to get 60FPS on Cyberpunk 2077 on 4K Ultra settings and RTX Psycho. At least that's what TechSpot found.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I never understood why so called gamers would want to play shooter games at 4k when it's all about frames per second RE smoothness of gameplay. 1440p 240hz w/an RTX 3080 Ti is the sweet spot imo.

it's for the same reason they buy 24" 4K monitors:ROFLMAO:

as for original OP question, nothing out right now can run CP2077 @ 4K with all bells and whistles dialed up.
Keep the monitor, upgrade any 3080 variant and you'll be golden at 1440p for quite some time.

Reactions: Why_Me
Not every shooting game is a twitch shooter. Cyberpunk 2077 is slower paced.
Slower paced or not it comes down to smoothness of game play imo. The difference between 1440 and 4k for Cyberpunk is double. No way would I want to play a game maxed out at 40 fps. Might as well get a console and play on a TV.

cyberpunk-2077-2560-1440.png

cyberpunk-2077-3840-2160.png

It's hard to fathom a 2080Ti not being adequate for 1440P gaming just yet (certainly 144 Hz monitor might indeed be a challenge depending on quality settings), but, if you simply must have/utilize the settings which massively benefit from/require a 3080 Ti or 3090, it is indeed your hard earned money.

(And yet here I still sit with but a GTX1060!) :(

Dave8671

Distinguished
I sit with a 1660 GTX and HD monitor. I have never ventured into 4K. I do not feel like spending over 2,000 for a GPU than replacing every other generation seems to waste money to me. If I had kids they would work to buy those cards themselves. Not wasting house hold money.

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS