[SOLVED] Should i upgrade motherboard only or cpu aswell?

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
So i built a pc with r5 3600 and msi b450 tomahawk max a year ago. Never had any problems. But since few weeks ago, everytime i want to turn pc on, it turns on, but no signal to monitor.

I tried many options, i unplugged gpu and plugged back, i tried with another gpu, i removed ram and put it back, i removed hdd, (cause windows is on ssd), than i thought how bios was the problem, so i updated bios with flash button, i even removed cmos battery and put it back, i tried so many things, i turned pc on and off for so many times, but none of it actually worked.

So im not 100% sure but i believe how problem is motherboard and maybe even cpu. So i realised why not upgrade them. So now i donno if i should upgrade only motherboard or should i buy new cpu aswell? I was thinking of moving from ryzen to intel. Please tell me your suggestions.

Solution
it turns on, but no signal to monitor.

I tried many options, i unplugged gpu and plugged back, i tried with another gpu,
And if it turns on and seems to be working, apart from the video signal, what are the chances it's a monitor issue or a cable issue, and not a pc issue since with the newer stuff you'll get the white vga of death light if it's the gpu.

ASROCK is ASUS budget brand and has the same high quality
Not quite. It started off as a spin-off of Asus, originally intended to compete with the uber budget yet widespread use brands like Foxconn etc, but was later sold, so is now direct competition in mainly the server and mainstream budget markets.

But their cheapo approach often backfires, like the new Z590...

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
Well budget isnt my problem, i have some big savings, so i aint really limited by the budget, but still that pc served me only 1 year, and i have no intentions to spend a lot of money again (i hope you understand me).
Well initially i built that pc mostly for gaming, but i aint no gaming fanatic, then i used pc primarily for school, and i actually havent been gaming for few months now, but generally, pc is for everyday use.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
If you think the motherboard is faulty why not contact MSI and see if you can RMA under warranty. If everything was working correctly you already have a very good setup and probably would not not a cpu or motherboard upgrade.
I bought that motheboard from amazon over a year ago. Now should i contact that seller or msi, i donno how that procedure works.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
Contact MSI, the warranty is with them. Never gone through a warranty process with MSI but I’d expect it to be fairly easy.
Ok im doing web ticket at msi support site, but 1 thing is confusing me, it says how i need to type product and model name, ok i know what the product name is, but what in the world is model name? And how can or where can i find it?

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
Ok im doing web ticket at msi support site, but 1 thing is confusing me, it says how i need to type product and model name, ok i know what the product name is, but what in the world is model name? And how can or where can i find it?
I saw something on motherboard, and it says: MS - 7C02 VER: 1 . 0
Is that model name?

I saw something on motherboard, and it says: MS - 7C02 VER: 1 . 0
Is that model name?
Yes.

But i'm confused: are you saying you never get any video display? or it only gets a video display occasionally, you have to hit restart several times to get it? If it's unreliable, and you've tried with another GPU, I'd also be looking at the PSU. What brand/model is it as well as model of GPU?

Especially after you updated the BIOS, have you reset CMOS?

When it fails to give you a display, have you looked at the trouble LED's to see which of them are lit, if any? Look in your manual to see where they are.

Before the troubles happened, were you overclocking anything? and how?

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
What might have changed since all was well?
Usually, it is something like a bad update, or possibly a virus.
If not software, look to what hardware might have failed.

How about the possibility of a monitor failure?
Some monitors do not autodetect the input source and you must use the OSD to select the proper input.
Perhaps a bad monitor connection cable.

If you are fustrated and want to change to intel. Buy a non(F) processor so you have an integrated graphics adapter that can make problem diagnosis easier.

Is intel actually good these days?
Intel is entirely comparable.
ryzen is favored if you need many threads for running multithreaded batch apps. (24 or more)
For gaming, single threaded performance means all(after you get past the gpu limitation)
For that, ryzen 5000 and intel 11th gen performance per clock is similar.
I find the passmark performance ratings to be a useful guide.
Your 3600 has 12 threads and a rating of 17866. The single thread rating is 2585. about $250.
A similarly priced I5-1500 also has 12 threads and a rating of 18263/3229.

For a stronger upgrade, the ryzen 5600X with12 threads and a rating of 22191/3382 about $350
Intel i5-11600K with 12 threads and a rating of 19694/3348 is about $300.

All in all they are comparable.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
I never get any display. Yeah i did take the cmos battery out and put it back. And i never overclocked anything. Its definitely not a monitor failure because i already tested monitor to old pc with same cable and it works without any problem. Gpu is msi rtx 2070 super gaming x trio, and psu is corsair rm 750x. I have nzxt case h710 and speaking of case power button, i have noticed some changes. Usually that round light circle was bright and flashing, and after pc has no signal, that light circle doesnt flash anymore and its not that bright as before.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
Yah...I'm gonna guess you need to swap out a PSU to see if that's a problem as it sounds likely.

But did you get any of the trouble LED's lighting up? check your manual where they are.
yeah, but it maybe not be bright as before, because i pressed that button hard for so many times, i donno and speaking of psu, im not 100% sure, but i believe everything with psu is alright, but i mean i dont have another psu to test it with this pc,
i really dont know where the problem is and that really pisses me off, because then i also dont know which component/s i have to replace, i mean whole pc annoys me so much that i would rather throw it out of the window and build a completely new pc from scratch,
but obviously i wont do that lol

yeah, but it maybe not be bright as before, because i pressed that button hard for so many times, i donno and speaking of psu, im not 100% sure, but i believe everything with psu is alright, but i mean i dont have another psu to test it with this pc,
i really dont know where the problem is and that really pisses me off, because then i also dont know which component/s i have to replace, i mean whole pc annoys me so much that i would rather throw it out of the window and build a completely new pc from scratch,
but obviously i wont do that lol
What brand model is your PSU?

when you get the dim lights on the pwr button, does the PSU fan spin at least?

A failing PSU, putting out low voltage, can do what you describe; the system won't turn on and you see dim pwr light. B then, it doen't rule out anything else.. I know I'd hate to buy anything right now as nothing is ruled out yet, you have to start swapping parts to find what's really bad.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
What brand model is your PSU?

when you get the dim lights on the pwr button, does the PSU fan spin at least?

A failing PSU, putting out low voltage, can do what you describe; the system won't turn on and you see dim pwr light. B then, it doen't rule out anything else.. I know I'd hate to buy anything right now as nothing is ruled out yet, you have to start swapping parts to find what's really bad.
My psu is corsair, 750w rm model, i mean its pretty high quality psu, doubt there would be any problems with it. And btw pc turns on, but as i said no signal to monitor.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
I donno, im not a pc or tech expert, and that whole thing so complicated to me, and im really tired of trying to diagnose where the problem is. I hope that if i change motherboard or even cpu pc would work again, but then again something else could be problem, thats really pissing me off.

Is intel actually good these days?
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_11400f_processor_review,1.html
Intel Core i5 11400F processor review

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOpWJCWYa6k

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNOsn94N7U

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
So i realised why not upgrade them. So now i donno if i should upgrade only motherboard or should i buy new cpu aswell? I was thinking of moving from ryzen to intel. Please tell me your suggestions.

I suggest:

Staying away from MSI, their motherboards have very bad quality control and high defect rate
Get an ASUS board or ASROCK if you can't afford a high price board, ASROCK is ASUS budget brand and has the same high quality

Swap to Intel for sure. The Intel chipsets are more stable, quicker and receive software and firmware updates way more often than AMD chipsets, so for that reason alone it makes sense to go Intel.

The midrange intel chips from one generation ago like the i5-10600KF are insanely cheap right now and give you blistering performance in games, a lot quicker than your 3600. you could sell the 3600 and offset the cost of the i5 by quite a bit.

brunovnik

Prominent
Mar 8, 2020
I suggest:

Staying away from MSI, their motherboards have very bad quality control and high defect rate
Get an ASUS board or ASROCK if you can't afford a high price board, ASROCK is ASUS budget brand and has the same high quality

Swap to Intel for sure. The Intel chipsets are more stable, quicker and receive software and firmware updates way more often than AMD chipsets, so for that reason alone it makes sense to go Intel.

The midrange intel chips from one generation ago like the i5-10600KF are insanely cheap right now and give you blistering performance in games, a lot quicker than your 3600. you could sell the 3600 and offset the cost of the i5 by quite a bit.
Yeah i was thinking something like that aswell. Im defo not buying msi board ever again, and im not hatin on ryzen, i mean ryzen are good cpus, but intel are always safer option. But i just have to hope that other components in pc are working fine.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
i just have to hope that other components in pc are working fine.

It's hard to tell without another working PC to test them inside. Sometimes it can be very tricky to figure out which component is broken. But if you get nothing at all, no screen, no error, no beep, even when nothing else is connected or powered up except the motherboard? Then it is most likely the motherboard.