Should I upgrade my AMD FX-4300 to an AMD FX-6300? Is it worth it?

Taken Username

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
I currently have an AMD FX-4300. Im thinking of upgrading my CPU so I can run some games faster, Would it be worth it to upgrade to an FX-6300? Im wanting to run games such as GTA V on low settings.

Solution
Your fx 4300 is about as good as it gets for that mobo. For the relatively few fps, the price to upgrade to a 6300 isn't really worth it, and the board won't support anything larger than 95w. Best bet is OC. FX Cpus thrive on OC, its a crying shame amd clocked them as low as they did. Their feeble attempts at factory OC ended up as the 9370 and 9590. Even though the mobo isn't the best, shouldn't be any reason you couldn't get 4.0GHz or maybe better from it. Anything will help. Unless you want to make the move to Intel, but that's expensive. You can also OC your gpu, it'll improve fps some together with the cpu, you could get what you need for the game, or maybe better.
The single thread rating of the FX-4300 and the FX-6300 are virtually the same.
Games such as GTAV tend to be cpu limited and dependent of a single fast master core.
You would see no noticeable benefit.
Very few games can make effective use of more than 2-3 cores.

If your motherboard permits, you could try overclocking the FX-4300.

Better off overclocking the FX 4300 cpu to get more performance out of it.
Like said going from a quad core to a Hex core you will not see much improvement at all.

So if you can overclock the cpu do so, you should be able to get the cpu up to about 4.6 Ghz
Providing you have a decent air cooled after market cpu cooler, and not a stock AMD heatsink and fan solution on the FX cpu as it stands.

Had mine up to 5Ghz, but it was with a good water cooling loop and a good Asus motherboard. 99X Evo 2.0

Taken Username

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

If I didn't want to overclock my CPU what CPU would you recommend I get? My Motherboard is a MSI 760GM-P34(FX) (MS-7641) (I know, its bad) Remember, Im wanting to be able to play GTA V on low settings

Bem-xxx

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015

CPU_01.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your fx 4300 is about as good as it gets for that mobo. For the relatively few fps, the price to upgrade to a 6300 isn't really worth it, and the board won't support anything larger than 95w. Best bet is OC. FX Cpus thrive on OC, its a crying shame amd clocked them as low as they did. Their feeble attempts at factory OC ended up as the 9370 and 9590. Even though the mobo isn't the best, shouldn't be any reason you couldn't get 4.0GHz or maybe better from it. Anything will help. Unless you want to make the move to Intel, but that's expensive. You can also OC your gpu, it'll improve fps some together with the cpu, you could get what you need for the game, or maybe better.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS