[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my cooler?

Furzumz

Reputable
Hello, I have a ryzen 9 3900x and my cooler is a Corsair H55. The thing that makes me a little worried is Battlefront 2 (the most hardware demanding game I currently own) doesn't use up all that much of my CPU but still manages to run my CPU on the warm side at 82c for its highest reading. For the most part it'll stay around high 60's to mid 70's but occasionally works its way up to ~83c in Battlefront 2.

I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade to a better cooler if I want to run games that will peg a 3900x at higher CPU usage is my main concern.

If it helps any, two back to back Cinebench runs got it up to 87c max. Doing 4 or 5 passes of Cinebench starts to climb it up to the mid 90's

This is without any overclocking on my end, I just put grabbed it out of the box and installed it with no tampering

Edit - I just realized there's a entire 'cooling' section, I apologize if this is in the wrong place

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, I have a ryzen 9 3900x and my cooler is a Corsair H55. The thing that makes me a little worried is Battlefront 2 (the most hardware demanding game I currently own) doesn't use up all that much of my CPU but still manages to run my CPU on the warm side at 82c for its highest reading. For the most part it'll stay around high 60's to mid 70's but occasionally works its way up to ~83c in Battlefront 2.

I'm wondering if I'll need to upgrade to a better cooler if I want to run games that will peg a 3900x at higher CPU usage is my main concern.

If it helps any, two back to back Cinebench runs got it up to 87c max. Doing 4 or 5 passes of Cinebench starts to climb it up to the mid 90's

This is without any overclocking on...

This is without any overclocking on my end, I just put grabbed it out of the box and installed it with no tampering

Edit - I just realized there's a entire 'cooling' section, I apologize if this is in the wrong place
Really should be using a 240mm radiator at a minimum, preferably 280-360mm for a top end CPU.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution

Furzumz

Reputable
Really should be using a 240mm radiator at a minimum, preferably 280-360mm for a top end CPU.

Dang so I do need a better cooler?

It took me a good 4 years to save up for this cpu and a better video card so its gonna take me awhile to buy a better cooler. Until then am I better off using the current one I got now or is the stock cooler it came with a better choice?