Should I upgrade my cpu/motherboard/ram now or should I wait for coffee lake refresh?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello. I have an amd fx 9370 and a gtx 1070 and I was wondering if I should upgrade right now to 2600x/2700x/8700k or wait for coffee lake refresh. I'm gaming at 1080p 60hz btw. Do you think that the new intel cpus will come out when Battlefield 5 is released? Thanks in advance.

Solution
My two cents is IF you can wait, then wait. Assuming you don't need a new platform right now then what's the harm in waiting?

Don't hesitate if you need something, the CPUs you are talking about won't be maxed out by any game coming out for a long, long time. You'll probably want a new videocard before you want a new CPU if you buy one of those CPUs.

After all, something better is always coming in the future. If you need something now but want to wait for something better then your wait will never be over.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

Yeah I plan on getting a 1440p 144hz monitor. So what do you recommend?

mgallo848

Commendable
2700x and i7 8700k are both great gaming CPU's. The 8700 is a little faster in overall FPS but then it would also come down to $$$.

Unless something changes, The next gen AMD will still be compatible with the current motherboards. I don't think that will be the case for Intel.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

Do you think that the 9700k will be worth it because 8c/8t isn't the best and the 8700k has 4 more threads and 2 less cores. So I think only the 9900k is viable. What do you think?

mgallo848

Commendable

I thought about that also. 8 real cores vs 6 real cores with 12 threads. It's more of a wait and see on that one. Rumor I heard is it will cost about $100+ more than the 8700k though.

Edit: For years, games weren't able to take advantage of hyperthreaded cores Now they can so I would take an educated guess that the 9700K won't be any faster (for gaming) compared to the 8700k. (It may be a little faster in games that use single core speed)

My two cents is IF you can wait, then wait. Assuming you don't need a new platform right now then what's the harm in waiting?

Don't hesitate if you need something, the CPUs you are talking about won't be maxed out by any game coming out for a long, long time. You'll probably want a new videocard before you want a new CPU if you buy one of those CPUs.

After all, something better is always coming in the future. If you need something now but want to wait for something better then your wait will never be over.

Solution