[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my CPU/Motherboard/RAM now or wait?

Apr 17, 2020
Hello! My specs right now are quite outdated and I haven't upgraded my computer in 4-5 years, and I am planning on building a brand new computer when the new line of GPUs come out from nvidia. I am getting to the point where many games are barely running 60 FPS which is unacceptable, especially because I am trying to utilize the 144hz refresh rate on my monitor. My specs right now are 8gb 2133mhz DDR4 memory, an i5-6500 cpu, and a 1060 3gb gpu. I realize I need a gpu upgrade but like I said I am trying to hold out until the new line. I would just get a memory upgrade for a bit better FPS but my gpu and motherboard limit speed to 2133, so I am asking if I should upgrade my memory/cpu/motherboard now then just get the graphics card and new psu, etc when the new line comes out, or if I should just bare with what I have until the new AMD cpu line and nvidia gpu line comes out for a fully fresh build. If I were to upgrade now, I would probably get the 3600x or 3700x, 16gb 3600mhz DDR4 memory, and a b450 tomahawk max or something along the lines, but if you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Upgrading CPU/board/memory now will mostly help you in games where your i5 is holding you back, although you may see some improvement. GPU intensive games will still suffer. Since a new GPU will give you best results it may be better to wait since you want a new unreleased product. New CPU's and boards may also be available when you're ready to upgrade in which case you may be glad you waited and build a totally new system all at once. On the other hand, current world events could delay things (just guessing here) and you may tire of waiting. It's a tough call but I'd wait and do nothing right now. Just one guys opinion.
Upgrading CPU/board/memory now will mostly help you in games where your i5 is holding you back, although you may see some improvement. GPU intensive games will still suffer. Since a new GPU will give you best results it may be better to wait since you want a new unreleased product. New CPU's and boards may also be available when you're ready to upgrade in which case you may be glad you waited and build a totally new system all at once. On the other hand, current world events could delay things (just guessing here) and you may tire of waiting. It's a tough call but I'd wait and do nothing right now. Just one guys opinion.

Reactions: Chungloid
Solution

TRENDING THREADS