Before I proceed with my post, here's my current build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (not OC'ed)
CPU Cooler: beQuiet Dark Rock 2
GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 (not OC'ed)
RAM: 16GB of DDR3 dual-channel Corsair Vengeance @1600MHZ
MB: Asus Sabertooth Z87
PSU: Corsair AX860

Here's the deal...
I have an Asus VG248QE and I still game at 144hz/1080p. I want to upgrade my GPU for the more recent games coming up (like DOOM Eternal, Bloodlines 2 and Cyberpunk 2077) since my 780 has been struggling for a few years now. Still deciding between an RX 5700XT or an RTX 2070 Super (or above).

Thing is, I've been doing a lot of research, and I'm fearful that my CPU will be bottlenecking any new mid/high-end GPU that I install in my system...

I was thinking about waiting a few more months (until like January or February) and upgrading to a whole new system with a Ryzen 3700X, DDR4 RAM, new GPU, only just keeping my power supply, storage (1TB HDD and 128GB SSD) and case (Fractal Design Define R4).

What are your guys' honest opinion? Should I just shell out the money for a whole new build so I don't get bottlenecked OR am I good with just upgrading the GPU and overclocking the CPU? Sorry for the long post, I've been thinking about this for a few months now. Thank you for your time.

Solution
In the long run, it would be beneficial to upgrade the entire system considering the age.

However, a 4770K shouldn't hold an RTX 2070 Super back too badly. I would say upgrade the GPU now, and see how your current system handles it. It you determine that the CPU is holding the GPU back, then go and upgrade to Ryzen as you've planned.
In the long run, it would be beneficial to upgrade the entire system considering the age.

However, a 4770K shouldn't hold an RTX 2070 Super back too badly. I would say upgrade the GPU now, and see how your current system handles it. It you determine that the CPU is holding the GPU back, then go and upgrade to Ryzen as you've planned.

Reactions: Johnrocha
Solution

Johnrocha

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2013

That sounds like a good middle ground option as well, I could just upgrade to a new build while already having the new GPU. Thank you so much.