Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU for Starcraft 2

zebra403

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have an Athlon X2 6400+ stock at 3.2GHZ
and a Radeon HD3870. Would I get more bang for my buck with a GTX 460 1GB or going with a new CPU for SC2?

Solution
Upgrading your CPU depends on whether your mobo can support the newer multi-core CPUs. You would need to verify via your manufacturer's website the specifics of your system. The CPU you currently have should be fine for average settings with SC2.

Your GPU is a bit dated, but will also work as is. If you want to upgrade, you need to make sure you have a strong enough PSU to support a more demanding GPU like the 460 you mentioned.

Depending on your budget, if you wanted to upgrade one or the other, I would suggest the GPU. I would also suggest either a Radeon HD5850 or a HD5770, but that too depends on the resolution you plan to play at, whether your PSU will support, and how much you want to spend.

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Upgrading your CPU depends on whether your mobo can support the newer multi-core CPUs. You would need to verify via your manufacturer's website the specifics of your system. The CPU you currently have should be fine for average settings with SC2.

Your GPU is a bit dated, but will also work as is. If you want to upgrade, you need to make sure you have a strong enough PSU to support a more demanding GPU like the 460 you mentioned.

Depending on your budget, if you wanted to upgrade one or the other, I would suggest the GPU. I would also suggest either a Radeon HD5850 or a HD5770, but that too depends on the resolution you plan to play at, whether your PSU will support, and how much you want to spend.

Good luck!

Solution

zebra403

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
My have a M2R32-MVP Board that can support an AM2+ but not AM3 cpus. I have a 700W psu that I think should be able to handle the GTX460. I just read quite a bit about CPU bottlenecking the GPU since SC2 like other RTS games is more demanding on CPU than other games. I am wondering if I will see a bigger difference (in terms of FPS) with a better CPU or GPU. Sounds like the GPU is the way to go til I can afford to upgrade my mobo, memory, and cpu. I am currently playing at a resolution of 1680 X 1050. Thanks your advice

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008

have u played the game in your current setup??

your CPU is fine & GPU should be fine too.
Run fraps while playing the game and then decide.

my old PC with X2 5600+ with 4200 IGP runs game at 30fps with 1440x900 @ medium settings (shader and post processing is set to low though)