[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU (i5 6600k and GTX 970

Jaap123

Honorable
Mar 29, 2015
My parts are kind of dated by now but most games run fine. It's games like RDR2 that I don't seem to have the computer for to run properly. I'm wondering what's bottlenecking my PC and to what parts I should upgrade.
Thanks!

Solution
My parts are kind of dated by now but most games run fine. It's games like RDR2 that I don't seem to have the computer for to run properly. I'm wondering what's bottlenecking my PC and to what parts I should upgrade.
Thanks!

It depends on your budget and what resolution / frame rate you are trying to achieve....

Many modern titles really need more threads than on that i5, if you are watching the cost you could get a good boost by switching to a compatible i7 (either a 6700K or 7700K) as that way you can keep your existing motherboard / memory. That said, the GTX 900 series cards are really starting to show their age as well so an upgrade on that side would also be good - just watched a recent review and the mid range RTX 2060...
Thanks!

It depends on your budget and what resolution / frame rate you are trying to achieve....

Many modern titles really need more threads than on that i5, if you are watching the cost you could get a good boost by switching to a compatible i7 (either a 6700K or 7700K) as that way you can keep your existing motherboard / memory. That said, the GTX 900 series cards are really starting to show their age as well so an upgrade on that side would also be good - just watched a recent review and the mid range RTX 2060 is 20% faster on average than a 980ti.... There are plenty of good value cards you could move to from a 970 and see a big boost, something like a 1660 Super might be a good bet.

Solution