Souvik Mukherjee

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Hello,
My current specs are
FX 4100
8GB DDR3
GTX 750 Ti

I am currently in the process of doing some upgrades to this computer.

I only have enough money to do either ONE of the following upgrades:

Option #1:
Ryzen 3 1200
8GB DDR4 RAM
a Ryzen mobo

Option #2:
GTX 1050 Ti

So, its basically a CPU or GPU

Please do suggest which one would be better.

Thank you for reading :) :)

P.S. : I currently have a 1280*1024 monitor and have no intention of upgrading that.

Solution

Both are unlocked chips that can be overclocked. to the same clockspeed. So for that issue there isn't much of a difference there. They also perform similarly when overclocked and have the same OC headroom. The only major difference is that the 2200g has a higher stock clockspeed than the 1200.

As for the memory issue yeah that is a worldwide issue at the moment along with stupidly high GPU prices.

caqde

Distinguished
Depends on the games you play. The FX-4100 is a very slow CPU by todays standards and can be a large limiter in certain games. Given you aren't running anything at a very high resolution this could likely be the largest limiting factor you currently have. The 1050Ti is a lot faster than the 750Ti but given you are not running at high resolutions this may not matter that much.

Based on this I would likely recommend upgrading your processor first. For the processor I would also look into the Ryzen 3 2200G given it's higher clockspeed and similar pricepoint.

Souvik Mukherjee

Honorable
May 9, 2013

But wouldn't it be better to buy a 1200 and just OC it. Also, I am on a pretty tight budget, and the price of RAM has just skyrocketed( almost doubled) in my country.

caqde

Distinguished

Both are unlocked chips that can be overclocked. to the same clockspeed. So for that issue there isn't much of a difference there. They also perform similarly when overclocked and have the same OC headroom. The only major difference is that the 2200g has a higher stock clockspeed than the 1200.

As for the memory issue yeah that is a worldwide issue at the moment along with stupidly high GPU prices.

Solution

Wildthorn

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016

If I were you I would stick with option 1. The 750ti is still strong if your on a low budget, however that also depends on your use of the computer and Graphics settings.