Question Should I upgrade my cpu or just make a new ryzen gaming pc?

Apr 23, 2019
My spec currently :
GA-Z170X Gaming 6
Celeron 3920
500w Venus power supply
Nvidia gtx 780
8GB DDR4 Ballistix ram

am on a $300 budget currently which sucks

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You have a Z170 motherboard so you could go all the way up to a 6700K.

But then your CPU would be far superior to all of your other hardware and you would eventually be buying a new GPU and a new 16GB kit of RAM to make everything more updated.

But to simplify the answer to your question you can go up to a 6700K and anything in between.

While the list may say that you can go up to a 7700K, that is only with a BIOS update to the latest version, and while it supports 7th gen, you're not going to get the most out of a 7th gen unlocked CPU with a Z170 plus it would cost quite a bit of money for one as well, which is why a used 6700K would be totally fine.

I'm currently rocking a 6700K overclocked to 4.6GHz with a 1080 Ti with no issues or serious CPU bottleneck.

The only time I see a near 100% usage on my 6700K is if I play Assassin's Creed Origins on max or near max settings at 1440p

Here's a list of all the supported CPU's
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-6-rev-10#support-cpu

Apr 23, 2019
You have a Z170 motherboard so you could go all the way up to a 6700K.

But then your CPU would be far superior to all of your other hardware and you would eventually be buying a new GPU and a new 16GB kit of RAM to make everything more updated.

But to simplify the answer to your question you can go up to a 6700K and anything in between.

While the list may say that you can go up to a 7700K, that is only with a BIOS update to the latest version, and while it supports 7th gen, you're not going to get the most out of a 7th gen unlocked CPU with a Z170 plus it would cost quite a bit of money for one as well, which is why a used 6700K would be totally fine.

I'm currently rocking a 6700K overclocked to 4.6GHz with a 1080 Ti with no issues or serious CPU bottleneck.

The only time I see a near 100% usage on my 6700K is if I play Assassin's Creed Origins on max or near max settings at 1440p

Here's a list of all the supported CPU's
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-6-rev-10#support-cpu
Ok thank you

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
my suggestion with a $300 budget is to scour the used market on Craigslist and OfferUp to find a Skylake CPU for a good price as well as a used GPU upgrade to something like the 1050 Ti then get the RAM new.

the CPU doesn't have to be a 6700K or even a K series since K series is specifically for overclocking and if you're not overclocking then what's the point.

you could get away with an i5 6600 non K for cheap and get a used 1050 Ti for cheap then get new 16GB RAM kit.

the RAM can be the cheapest on PCPP if you want really.

In fact, here's some RAM for you that doesn't cost a ton and would be a worth while upgrade replacement for your current 8GB if you were to go the route of buying a used CPU and GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-23 20:30 EDT-0400

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Apr 24, 2019
with your 300 look at getting another 2 sticks of ddr4 preferably identical to what you have (assuming you have 2 X 4GB) and a cpu upgrade. Dont bother upgrading your gpu out of the money you have, although its not incredible it beat the majority of bargain cards you can get atm https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-780-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/2164vs3649 see how much better than a 1050ti it is? when it comes to upgrading your cpu you may need a higher wattage power supply, i dont know what you have running off it but heres a handy guide on what you can run on what power supply https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator, ideally youd want an i7 but thatd be your entire budget gone. Infact that may not be a bad idea, check if you can run the extra ram and cpu on that power supply then put money into that

TRENDING THREADS