Question Should I upgrade my current PC or buy a new one?

Apr 9, 2019
Moderator message: Please do not cross-post in future 🔺

I bought my PC about 3 and a half years ago, I didn't know much about gaming computers back then and bought a pretty bad one. I upgraded my graphics card from a gtx 950 to a gtx 1060 6gb back in december of 2017. My other specs are the defaults on this one https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/G11CB/. I was thinking of upgrading my CPU and RAM (i5-6400 2.7GHz, and 8GB RAM), but I don't know is I should buy a completely new one or make a new one myself. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your CPU and GPU are well matched. In a way that's good....but as far as upgrading I think that creates an issue. The issue is...any significant upgrade of the GPU is going to require a new CPU.

The thing is....I'm having a hard time determining what motherboard you have to determine CPU upgrade options.

The other thing I would do is go from 8 to 16 gig on the RAM.....and if you aren't running an SSD I would get one.

Apr 9, 2019
I think your CPU and GPU are well matched. In a way that's good....but as far as upgrading I think that creates an issue. The issue is...any significant upgrade of the GPU is going to require a new CPU.

The thing is....I'm having a hard time determining what motherboard you have to determine CPU upgrade options.

The other thing I would do is go from 8 to 16 gig on the RAM.....and if you aren't running an SSD I would get one.
I am not currently running an SSD, and RAM was the main thing I wanted to upgrade anyways, I was thinking of adding another 8, if not even more. I hear that if you have two different RAM sticks running at different speeds, your PC will use the speed of the worst RAM stick. Is that true, if that's the case would it be worth my money to buy two new sticks instead of one?
One last question: What should I store on my SSD and how big of an SSD would you recommend? I know that they are faster than regular hard drives, but should I only keep my games that I play or all files in general?
Thanks once again and sorry for all the questions.

Edit: I have the G11CB motherboard apparently. It's what came up when i plugged in a command in cmd.exe.

Last edited:
Yes it will run at the slower speed.
If you can afford it I would get a matched pair.
They are more likely to work well together.

As far as the SSD....I play games an 500 GB is enough for me. I keep the OS and my games on the SSD and I don't run much else. I clone the SSD to an HDD about once a month so I can always revert back.

Being that seems to be an ASUS prebuilt I think it makes it a bit more difficult to know what that MB supports as far as CPUs and which BIOS to use. I saw one with an i7. I'd google around or even look on the MB itself for a model and see what you can find out. You might be able to upgrade the CPU quite a bit.

Samwilsonuk

Prominent
Aug 29, 2019
I bought my PC about 3 and a half years ago, I didn't know much about gaming computers back then and bought a pretty bad one. I upgraded my graphics card from a gtx 950 to a gtx 1060 6gb back in december of 2017. My other specs are the defaults on this one https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/G11CB/. I was thinking of upgrading my CPU and RAM (i5-6400 2.7GHz, and 8GB RAM), but I don't know is I should buy a completely new one or make a new one myself. What do you guys think?

Personally I'd think about upgrading your gpu before your cpu. Typically cpus have a longer 'life expectancy' than a gpu. In that I mean cpus hold their value longer than gpus in terms of performance. Your cpu speed is a little slow, what cooler do you have, I'd consider getting a gpu, doing some overclocking and then upgrading your cpu at a later date, a full list of specs would go a long way in helping us to help you. The link you gave is 99% bollocks and 1% specs, cant see what it says about cooling there. Also how much cash you got lying about and I can give you some suggestions to your budget.

Last edited: