Should I upgrade my ddr4 2133mhz ram to 3000mhz if I want to oc my 6600k?

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
So I bought an i5 6600k last year and went with 2133mhz ram. I want to oc my 6600k for extra performance, should I also upgrade my ram since I plan on overclocking my cpu? Is this ram holding me back enough to warrant an upgrade? I have a gtx 1070. Z170 gaming 3 mobo. Evga 850w gold rated psu. And an evo 212 cpu cooler

Solution
Hyper 212 EVO will get you up above 4GHz but may limit you once you need to increase voltage.

Speaking of increasing voltage, what is your power supply? EVGA 850w gold rated PSU is not enough information. For example, the SuperNOVA G2 series is Gold and is great (although it's now outdated), but many units within the NEX series are also Gold but they're complete crap and would probably kill your motherboard if you tried to overclock on it. What is the model of your power supply?

Once these problems are out of the way, we can decide on RAM. From what I've seen (and I've done plenty of research), RAM speed does not have much effect on system performance. It seems the biggest limiting factors are disk access speed for general tasks that...
Hyper 212 EVO will get you up above 4GHz but may limit you once you need to increase voltage.

Speaking of increasing voltage, what is your power supply? EVGA 850w gold rated PSU is not enough information. For example, the SuperNOVA G2 series is Gold and is great (although it's now outdated), but many units within the NEX series are also Gold but they're complete crap and would probably kill your motherboard if you tried to overclock on it. What is the model of your power supply?

Once these problems are out of the way, we can decide on RAM. From what I've seen (and I've done plenty of research), RAM speed does not have much effect on system performance. It seems the biggest limiting factors are disk access speed for general tasks that require opening software/files (any fast HDD is usually enough), graphics cards for gaming, and CPUs for professional workloads like video editing.

For a gaming machine that uses a dedicated graphics card, I don't think RAM speed will make much of a difference at all. If you want to edit videos as well, I'd say go for 2400MHz. Anything above that I consider to be a waste of money for a gaming machine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS