[SOLVED] Should i upgrade my gpu? or not

khaled_82

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
Hello Tom's Hardware Community,

I have a old computer... I know I need to replace it but i dont have alot of money.... should i sell my gtx 980 ti, and my pc could handle a better gpu now?

anyway this my computer specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-980x (12M Cache, 3.33 GHz ) (NO OC)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB
Ram: G.Skill 16GB DDR3-2133 memory
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X58A-UD7
SSD 128GB & HDD WD 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000i PSU
System OS: Windows 10 Pro Professional

I play games like Call of Duty Warzone, Pubg Steam, Pubg Mobile, GTA V, The Witcher, Red Dead Redemption 2, Forza Horizon, Sekiro, NEED FOR SPEED, Fifa, Dying Light 2, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Devil May Cry, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Solution
Keeping in mind that any gains you receive by upgrading your GPU will be less than if you had better supporting hardware, yes, you will receive benefits from upgrading your GPU.

Your RAM looks good, your PSU looks good, its your CPU that's going to hold you back the most (low IPC and low clock speeds overall). Fortunately, at least its a 6 core / 12 thread chip. Provided you don't plan on running frame rates much higher than 60, it should be able to hang in there until you can upgrade your motherboard/CPU.

What is your budget and what resolution/settings are you trying to run these games at?
Keeping in mind that any gains you receive by upgrading your GPU will be less than if you had better supporting hardware, yes, you will receive benefits from upgrading your GPU.

Your RAM looks good, your PSU looks good, its your CPU that's going to hold you back the most (low IPC and low clock speeds overall). Fortunately, at least its a 6 core / 12 thread chip. Provided you don't plan on running frame rates much higher than 60, it should be able to hang in there until you can upgrade your motherboard/CPU.

What is your budget and what resolution/settings are you trying to run these games at?

Solution