[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my gpu??

mihnea20053

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Hi everyone! So I've had my pc for 5 years I've had my gtx 960 for 5 years now and to be able to play games decently I have to turn my settings to the lowest and I think it's time to upgrade. I'm able to buy a used rtx 2060 for 280$ but I don't know if I should wait another couple months for the new gpu releases. Keep in mind that I'm just starting highschool so I don't have a bigger budget and frankly I don't want to spend more than 300-350$ on a new gpu. Waiting for your advice, thanks in advance!

Solution
I am going to assume that is a typo, and you meant 2700x. Most Thermaltake PSU's are poor quality. The toughpower grands being the only decent models, to my knowledge. An RTX 2060 isn't a power hog, thankfully, though. As long as the PSU isn't super old, or one of those 80+ white units, you should be ok. I wouldn't push beyond that, though.

mihnea20053

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
What are the rest of your system specs, including make/model of the power supply? $280 is not a very good deal, when you can get new ones for around $300. I don't expect the new card, lower tiers, to be out till sometime early next year.
Thanks for the fast reply! So I have 16gb of ram, a ryzen 7 2800x (got a good deal on black friday last year), aorous b450 pro motherboard , a 650w power supply from thermaltake, a samsung 250gb ssd and a 1tb hard disk.

logainofhades

Titan
I am going to assume that is a typo, and you meant 2700x. Most Thermaltake PSU's are poor quality. The toughpower grands being the only decent models, to my knowledge. An RTX 2060 isn't a power hog, thankfully, though. As long as the PSU isn't super old, or one of those 80+ white units, you should be ok. I wouldn't push beyond that, though.

Solution

mihnea20053

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
My bad, I was talking about the ryzen 7 2700x indeed. I've just heard many people saying that the new graphic cards that will come out in the following months will be like 50% better than this generation and probably will reduce the price of current graphic cards. I rarely upgrade but when I do I kinda want to use it for the next 3-5 years before upgrading again. I haven't had any problems so far with my psu but if people say that it's bad I might just change it.

logainofhades

Titan
1080p gaming, the 2060 should last that long. Unfortunately, I am not able to say whether current cards will get cheaper, with the newer cards coming. AMD could influence pricing, with Big Navi, but even that is uncertain. There is no harm, in waiting, if you can live with what you have now.

TRENDING THREADS